Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of fibreglass as material for spey rods? There aren't many fibreglass spey rods being offered on the market today and I wonder if fibreglass would make good material for traditonal action spey rods.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
That's an interesting question, particularly the old s-glass rods that were pretty sweet rods all-around. Lightweight, strong, and had decent modulus. Anyone have such a Spey rod out there?

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's my understanding from talking to the Redington rep at last May's Sandy Clave, that the upper section of certain rods use some fiberglass in the composition.

·
Flats Rat
24 Posts
Lighter than greenhart definitely :) but a tad heavier than graphite. Then again as you point out juro, that additional weight applied in the right places could make all the difference.

It's all about innovation and sometimes that means taking an old basic idea and implementing it in new ways based upon advances in design & fabrication techniques. I am only guessing but I imagine rod blank designers are using some pretty sophisticated CAD techniques these days ;)

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Fiberglass? Spey Rods?

Seems to me I read somewhere, in a big thick book written by someone who is considered an authourity, that said person discovered a fiberglass Spey rod gathering dust somewhere and took it out for a test drive. Where upon said rod just beat the hell out of him. I don't remember who this guy was, and I'm not sure it matters enough to justify looking it up. I do remember that he said he didn't know anything about Spey casting at the time, although he did go on to learn. Otherwise I would not have been reading his book. The long and short of it though was that graphite came along shortly thereafter and made the Spey rod into what it is today.

There is no reason why fiberglass. or Glass Reinforced Plastic (resin) as it is properly refered to, could not be incorporated along with graphite, kevlar, boron, titainium, or anything else as a rod building material, and I'm sure someone is doing it. They just don't talk about it. Trade secrets, black magic and all that stuff.

Besides would you buy a rod that is made of fiberglass. of course not. But you would buy it if it had some new super whatsit material in it that was so incredibly strong that you could only use a little bit of it and had to mix it with something else (like good old, cheap, GRP) to (1) slow it down or (2) make it less brittle and prone to breaking. Beginning to sound familiar? :chuckle:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What triggered the thought originally was the new Retro Series of rods from Winston. Not sure if it's just marketing but at least the folks at Winston thought there's sufficient demand out there for a premium line of fibreglass rods judging by the price points.

However they only offer light trout single handers. Much to my surprise a quick search on the web did not come up with any fibreglass spey rod offerings. Maybe I wasn't looking at the right places.

My next stop was the Lamiglas site and their only long rod offerings in fibreglass were surf rods weighting 20oz or over... much too big for a spey rod.

Fibreglass is an old material but with new resin, composite and taper designs it may offer us spey junkies yet another class of fishing and casting possibilities to explore. :rolleyes:

·
Flyfishing Camp Cook
122 Posts
Yup, they make fiberglass spey rods

There are a couple sites you can buy them at, I do believe one is sportsmail.uk.net????? Not sure of the address. I know Ii've seen quite a few of them, and they're VERY inexpensive. So, that must be teling you something. Rarely are older rods cheap, unless they don't sell. I know some vintage glass rods fetch some decent money.

Actually, I do still enjoy using my glass rods. I have what was ccnsidered high end glas rods from the 60's/70's in Washington state. My old Fenwicks. I still occasionally pull out my old 9wt for salmon and 7wt foor steelhead. I still love the bend you can put on those rods and they're vertually indestructable (except for the occasional cardoor LOL)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts