Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any rod manufactures the make or have made a fiberglass spey rod. I made an assumption the some where made but I have yet to find any references on the web for any.
Thanks for the info
Mike

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
certainly

if they;the manufacturer,was in business they made salmon rods,i have a better than pristine example from scotland,agate guides,never been lined,interested?PM me

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The first spey rods I saw, in 1966, were fiberglass. They're still frequently encountered in listings of second-hand salmon rods in Great Britain.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah - one is available.

If you just scroll down to the "For Sale By Owner" forum, you will find that Hammer has a recent post about "5 spey rods". The last rod he offers is a glass Scottish traditional, if I remember right.

BobK:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a glass 14' Hardy "Salmon Fly" rod that will throw a pretty fair 10 DT floater. Heavy, though; makes me wonder what the greenheart rods must have weighed. Sometimes when I'm running through my rods at a practice session I cast the glass rod first. Same principle as swinging two bats in the on deck circle before taking your cuts at the plate.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Fibre glass Salmon rods

Hit up sportfish and john norriss and Fawcetts over here in the UK they,ll have some ,Bruce and walker made some fine ones

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
If I may be permitted to give the website address of a non-sponsor (who isn't likely to ever be one, considering its location in Scotland): John Norris of Penrith (www.johnnorris.co.uk) always has a number of closeout and pre-owned spey rods (they call them "salmon rods") and other fly tackle (including very cheap fly lines). I bought my 16-foot Daiwa Alltmor from them several years ago. Shipping costs can be high, but as non-Britains, we don't have to pay the high sales tax.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have several Milbro fibreglass blanks knocking about somewhere, I could build you one if you were interested but quite frankly I think you are nuts, my first double handed rod was a Bruce and Walker 14 fibreglass and it was an absolute dog to cast with, you would do better with split cane in my opinion but get down to the gym first !

M

·
0 Posts
I would guess that a long fibreglass "salmon aka Spey Rod" would be similar to a long glass beach rod. These were made in the millions over here in any number of tapers and you can still get them, in blanks in two or three pieces. Mind you I have always believed that you could probably cast a fly line with these things, and they vary from 11' to 15 feet and in US dollar terms they aren't expensive. Just bulky in diameter.
It might be worth a minor investment just to find out. I guess a 9/10 weight would be classified as a 1/1.5 ounce rod, like 400 to 650gns and that would be light as far as beach rods go. If you like I can have a chat to a tackle dealer or two to find out what the range is. Cheers Max

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
mickgbell

i've purchased several rods from scotland,mostly the almost unheard of Daiwa's,,yes the companie's `big' here,but not fly tackle,;bass fishing,,i'm curious about the amorphous rods,,,did they ever build an 18 ft. two hander in the amorphous range,or longer?,the 18's have been my focal point lateley,i love the power these rods have,but,nobody seems willing to say much about them,even the people that have sold them to me,,can you give me any insite,?,they made soooo many ranges of two handers,i've seen the wagglers in the amorphous range as well,,sooo,any help?,,:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts