Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up to build a spey rod. The blank is a St Croix 13' 7/8 weight. I am wondering what the wisdom is on how long the ferrule wraps ought to be. I have asked this question in general rodbuilding forums and been told it should be not different form other rods--the length at least equal to the diameter of the female ferrule and maybe a bit more but not a whole lot. On the other hand looking at various commercial makers rods, I see a lot of variation, from as described above to the whole length of insertion of the male ferrule. So I am not sure what to do. Any other suggestions specific to the business of building spey rods would be welcome. I am fairly well up to speed on the basics of building rods.

thanks
Mike McGuire

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
For custom spey rod building / external ferrules I would suggest talking to our sponsor Rob Meiser. You can either click on his banner ad (he is a sponsor) or link below or contact him via private message (he is a member too) as "Robert Meiser". He's an awesome guy and an innovative rod builder.

http://www.meiserflyrods.com

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The short answer is whatever looks good to you.. h Modern graphite blanks are as strong as they ever will be as they copme from the manufacturer. structurally the thread wrap on the ferrule add nothing. So do what looks good to you. I personally like two types of wraps.

One is to wrap them like orvis does put a short wrap right at the but end of the blank and another at the end of the ferrule.

The second is to wrap the entire ferrule..

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hi Mike
For yor type of blank wrap ALL of the female ferrule ,to about where you estimate the male ferrule reachs .Anything else is asking for disaster !!!!!Graphite rods are VERY fragile in this area !On a spiggot type rod(Diamondback ,as an example wrap the blank to near where the spiggot starts .On thefemalesection wrap at the edge and then at where the male will end inside the female section.(you could of course wrap all the way on this part but it's not necessary)
Cheers and ENJOY your finished rod
Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts