Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I tried posting this on rodbuilding.org but the thread keeps getting erased for no reason and my account disappearss everytime I logout so here goes. By accident, during the building process, I managed to put some cracks in the male ferrule of the butt section. There are no guides on this section, it is a four piece, thirteen foot spey rod. The biggest crack is a little longer than a half inch, the female overlaps the male by about two inches. The ferrule seems to be in good shape but since I will be yanking on salmon with this thing I thought I'd ask for some advice. I wanted to pull out the rubber plug in the ferrule and put some Rod Bond in there but I can't get the dang thing out. I'm going to Alaska next week, that is if I can get through Newark Airport security, so I don't have time to remove the butt grip and get a new one by then. I'm wondering if this thing is so far down the blank that there won't be as much stress on it, it's almost a half inch at that part of the blank. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Tim,

Bummer Dude ...

To not void the warranty ... I'd suggest not messing with it, and just fish the rod the way it is and hope for the best.

In truth there's really not much you can do to remedy this problem anyways...

When you return <> Send the section back to the Mfgr. for replacement.

If it does not fail you'll be none the worse.

<> But I'd bring a back-up rod ...};^)...!!!!

Bob Meiser

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rob. I managed to get the plug out so I might put some Rod Bond and something supportive may be even chop up some carbon fiber twill I have laying around, don't ask, and mix it with the epoxy and pack it in. I really wasn't thinking about the warranty because I figured since I damaged it I would be buying a new section myself.

·
Registered
147 Posts
two inches is a very shallow ferruling depth for a spey rod especially a butt section.. i wouldn't feel comfortable fishing a rod that had a ferrueling depth less than 3 and 1/2 inches at the butt...
keep a very very very close eye on thoes two sections and keep the joint tight by checking it very often...

as for puting the plus back in the butt..... an easier and better way is to fill it with hot glue...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put my special carbon/rod bond "composite material" in the blank and let me tell you this stuff is tough, way stronger than a graphite rod blank yet still pretty flexible so let's hope I put enough in. As for the ferrule overlap, well it is what it is so hopefully it will be adequate, I'll definitely keep that in mind as I look for blanks in the future. I'll post a report when I get back from AK.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Stickin' Pigs!!

............well,if she does blow on a "pig',at least,you'll have a great story!! If a rod is going to go,that''s the way it should go!!!:smokin:

·
Registered
79 Posts
ferrule crack fix worked

Tim,

I had a similar problem with my 13' Forecast. However, the problem was already in the female portion of the ferrule when it arrived from the factory.

Unfortunately, during the first few days of casting the rod came apart and a cracked developed through the blank and part of the wrap. And, yes, I did overwrap the ferrule.

The good news is that the fix has worked. Following some of the guys' advice on rodbuidling.org, I wrapped over the failure and finished. Nothing pretty, but it has surrived my learing (sorta) the single, double, and circle spey.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Well it worked. Despite my inability to belt out a respectable spey cast I managed to catch a bunch of cohos with the rod without failure. The worst thing I encountered was that the cohos would not whack anything on the swing so I had to tuck the rod under my arm and go with the ole two handed tarpon strip and it was somewhat difficult for me to work the line back out as all the silvers were piled up in frog water with no current, this is a good problem to have though. Thanks to all for your advice, I'm sure as I learn to use this rod better it will bring me many new adventures.

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts