Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
The Fenwick River Runners look like re-branded Redington Large Arbours to me...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The main consideration in reels for me is the drag (power, smoothness & reliability). Last thing one would want is to have a reel going "free spool" or "dead spool" on you under demanding conditions (heat, cold, dirt, etc.) I can taste the panic when that happens with a fish on :whoa:

The Reddingtons seem to have varying reviews on the reliability of its drag. It's one thing to play with the drag in the tackle shop. I really value feedbacks from hardcore flyfishers in the field though.

Thx for the observation Juro.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Some Opinions from an Insider

Andy-
Whenever you are looking for a reel that will provide you with years of service and reliability, always look for a reel that is actually produced in house by the manufacturer.

The problem when being a reel that is contracted out to another manufacturer is that the chances of that reel being made 2-however many years down the road is slim.

What happens when something goes wrong with the reel whether it fault of the reel or yours??...what happens when you want a spool down the road?? You are out of luck!!

Avoid Redington, Cabelas, Okuma, Orvis (although they are a less of a problem then the others) and rod manfuactures that sell reels such as T&T, Sage, Lamiglass, Fenwick etc. etc. UNLESS you are willing to understand that you may be up the creek without a reel ( pun intended :rolleyes: ) so to speak in a few years. An exception to this would be the SA System 2 reels as they have been around for years and because they still remain strong sellers (especially in the Spey sizes) and I dont forsee their discontinuement (is that a word??) anytime soon...plus they are an excellent value.

Instead buy reels from manufactures that do not give up on certain lines a few years down the road and when they do discontinue or tweak a reel they always make sure they will have parts and spools for years to come. Notable examples would be Ross, Lamson, Abel, Tibor and the list goes on!

Many of these companies also offer reels at a very inexpensive price without a lack of quality.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
On the topic of drag and good value, I've had the pleasure of getting some hard drag pulls on the Ross Canyon BG and the Lamson V4, and Lamson Litespeed (same conical delrin drag system) lately. Both drags were exceptionally smooth, both reels are light and strong, pick up line quickly, and are a damn good value.

I think Ryan's advice on rebranded gear is good advice - but I've been eyeballing the pewter Sage 3400 or 3500 reels lately, it's get everything I want in a reel, and I trust Sage (they've never let me down)...

J

·
0 Posts
Rebranded reels

Ryan,

I agree with everything you wrote except for one thing. Thomas & Thomas is actually making their own reels. They own the machine shop where the reels are being made so that makes it a little different than outsourcing. Loomis is another company that designed and is making its own reel. Actually, the Adventurer is a Shimano product, but Shimano owns Loomis. The problems come when companies contract with others, usually in Asia, to simply put their brand, ie. Redington, onto a reel made over there. The prices might be attractive, but there are lots of reasons why buying one of these can ultimately be a headache.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts