Spey Pages banner

Fenwick & Airflo

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  slimpickins 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I'm looking to pick up my first spey rod and a local shop has a deal on a 14' 9/10 Fenwick Ironfeather and an airflo long delta line (with tips) also in a 9/10 weight. I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback on this rod, or more specifically, the rod/line combo. Thanks!

P.S. - Great board, I've been lurking for a little while now trying to soak up as much as I can!

#2 ·
Hey Slimpickins...

I don't know that particular rod. The Airflo lines are great. I do have some observations on your pending purchase. Do the people that work in that shop act like they know what a spey rod is? Does that shop sell a lot of spey tackle? Will they let you demo that rod/line combo on some local water or even on the grass? If the answer is yes then you are probably on solid ground if this outfit fits your budget.

I'm sure there is someone here that has experience good or bad with that particular rod. There are lots of spey casters in BC.

There is quite a bit of great spey tackle around and some of it is priced right for the budget minded. Have Fun.

#3 ·
See Dana

and get some instruction and his opinion before you buy. He will have a number of rod and line combinations for you to try and is a great and certified spey casting instructor. it iwll be money well spent and will save you a lot of frustration.

Also, welcome to the Board.

#4 ·
When I first got into spey rods I bought a 14 foot 9/10 Fenwick because it was cheap and I figured it would be good enough. I had it lined with a 9/10 Airflo Delta long multi tip line. I sold the rod and kept the line. My friends still kid me about that rod, as it is likely the only rod we've yet to try that sucks with every line ever tried on it, and we tried many. But hey, you could always use it as a flagpole or to prop open your garage door.

I'd look at the CND, TFO or Reddington rods as an inexpensive entry level rod. In fact, I recently cast a Reddington Redfly 13 foot 8/9 with an 8/9 midspey line and you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer set-up for a beginner. The CND Expert rods are a close second. You should be able to get into one of these (rod, reel, line) for a little over $400

SIR!! Put the Fenwick down and slowly back away :tsk_tsk:

#5 ·
Angler's West Spey Clave

Slim,

First of all, welcome! I'm glad you are enjoying the site!

Our sponsor Anglers West has a Spey Clave at Peg Leg on the Fraser (Chilliwack area) Sunday March 6th. Visit their site at www.anglerswest.net for more info. You can test out a bunch of rods and lines, and I'll be there to do some demos and give folks a hand.

I have not cast the Fenwick rods so cannot comment on them, but the Airflo lines are great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.