Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a go at a Fenian from E.J Malone's book with a mixed wing...Kind of a mishmash of wing styles, kelson-ish fo rthe main wing and an underwing tied more like Crosfeild. Tied on a nice vintage 2/0 code N. Reasonably happy with the fly, but the teal kind of got lost, so next time I think I'll mix it into the wing and the hackle could have been placed in a better start position. I also got some glue or wax on the tips of the bronze mallard, which is rather annoying. Thanks for looking.

·
Administrator
19,107 Posts
This is probably the nicest version of the Fenian that I have seen :)
I have only seen married strip wing versions and just passed it by ... never thought to indulge as a mixed wing - awesome!!
This is a decent sized fly, would be a great offering here in the GL's ... consider this pinched my friend :)

Mike

·
Registered
611 Posts
yeah man , i really dig that fly . well done ! and being a fenian myself , i'm pinching that one . thanks for sharing , jim

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is probably the nicest version of the Fenian that I have seen :)
I have only seen married strip wing versions and just passed it by ... never thought to indulge as a mixed wing - awesome!!
This is a decent sized fly, would be a great offering here in the GL's ... consider this pinched my friend :)

Mike
Thanks! I've been thinking of this fly as a mixed wing for months. Most versions I've seen use the standard married wing, but I always pictured it as a mixed wing based on a long gone forum comment by Dave Carne on Irish flies being all mixed wings (or something like that). Anyway, hope it does well for you .

yeah man , i really dig that fly . well done ! and being a fenian myself , i'm pinching that one . thanks for sharing , jim
Thanks! I'm a big fan of this patter, hope you give it a shot.
Aside from what you already mentioned...that is a crackin' flea! That will swim very well for you.
Thanks, I hope so. Your mixed wings definitely inspired me to tie more mixed wings as fishing flies, so this is the first of many more I hope. No in hand tying for me yet though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts