Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good video on setting wings. This is getting so frustrating trying to set wings. I've tried all different materials for a tented wing, what the heck am I doing wrong.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Marty Howard and Dec Hogan's video - Steelhead Flies, Tying the Classics' has a section on setting slip wings, as well as bronze mallard. But, I'm like you, it hasn't sunk in. I am facing some down time because of health issues and have vowed to spend time at the vice and practicing, blade at hand for stripping and starting over as needed.

Mark

·
Banned
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have Dec and Marty's video but didn't see that part yet, better keep watching. It's the bronze mallard slips that throw me for a loop. Is there a guide for how many barbs to put on each side according to hook size?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have Dec and Marty's video but didn't see that part yet, better keep watching. It's the bronze mallard slips that throw me for a loop. Is there a guide for how many barbs to put on each side according to hook size?
Look up Davie McPhail on youtube he is really good and gives a real good how to.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Someone, who's dressings and skills I've appreciated over our short friendship, offered the following to me:

"My general rule for wing size is 10-12 fibers for Dee's, and 15-20 for married wings. I think they say 1-1.5 times the gap of the hook, but I'm not certain on that"

For what it's worth..............

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Look up Davie McPhail on youtube he is really good and gives a real good how to.
Watching Davie set BM may only cause more frustration, he makes it look stupid easy. I myself have had some good tussles w BM but I feel like I'm finally gaining. Two biggest things that helped me were to make sure you're tying in at the grey area of the feather and also the less you fart around w the stuff, the better it seems to behave. Good luck, it sure looks pretty when it's done well.

·
Registered
506 Posts
BM slips: tie them in by the roots, ie use the entire length of it. Tie one slip on at a time if you want, just make sure it stays on its own half of the hook.
Also, put a drop of spit on the butt ends if you want before tying in, it will shrink it and is much easier to tie in. Thats what works for me atleast.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bronze Mallard is a learned thing it is one feather the more you mess with the worse it gets. Davie has one video where he does a play by play on how to choose the fletches and how to mount them on the hook. It was after watching that video I had my first success but I did suffer a lot of frustration and went through some feathers learning.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Twenty Salmon Flies - Michael Radencich

The book comes with a DVD. The DVD has about 24 segments. There is one on how to set a mallard wing for a traditional spey fly. Even he admits that it sometimes takes him 3 or 4 attempts to get the wing to set properly. Also has good segments on tying full feather wings, married wings and jungle cock underwings.

Techniques used on classic salmon flies can be used to improve your spey, dee and classic steelhead flies.

Mark

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Many of the best tyers clip the slips from the feathers. For the married wings also. An easier cheat - at first if you will - is to clip the slips with a bit of the stem remaining. It takes bit more materials prepping for tail and flight feathers but they will stay together and are easier to handle. Slips to be married have to be thin: Four to five barbs per slip keeps them easy to hump and shape the wing over the body. Many center tail feathers and other symmetrical feathers where both sides are usable - can actually split into two usable feathers this way.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, it's all helping. It might also be a material thing, not really knowing good from bad and so on. Tying from the base I can see will already help, now I need smaller feathers or longer hooks. I was trying some smaller muddle wings and they turned out well until I spun the deer hair in front of them. I can see its just time.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
ive never counted slips on bm, just hold them next to eachother to gauge size. Im not sure of specific videos but I know when I was trying to figure it out I found some great tutorials online (google will help).... I agree that watching davies videos are not a good idea, he peels his slips off (i think is a bad idea when learning, leave the stem) throws them in the air with some fairy dust, claps his hands and they land perfectly set on the hook, what you see in his videos is just not reality for 99% of us!

if I remember correctly timo has a great video tying a lady caroline, anyone have a link?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts