Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any body would like to coment on the rio heads. What they think.Or what they like or dislike. The sink tip or the fullfloater?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Howdy James,
I had a 9/10 floater and I liked it just fine after I cut it to 39'.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Used the full floater 9/10, line performed extremely well for both short and long distance casting. Line memory was not a problem even when fishing in temps below freezing. Left the length at 44 feet, intend to cut line for sinktip use. I will be buying more.

Ian

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have the 8/9 F/I/S it is a little heavy for the rod I've been using it on I have a couple of other I want to try it on before snip-snip. Once the line is out I really like the way it fishes.

andre

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Rio Scandinavian heads

I have the 10/11 F/I/3 head, uncut and it casts beautifully and gets down. Have been using it for faster and deaper water. Thinking about getting a multi tip head.

Rich

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the 11/12 F/I/S. It weighed only 800 grains out of the box instead of 845. Not sure why. After casting a few times I took 5 feet off the tips which allowed my 2 and 3 gram fly's to turnover better at 40 feet and I use leaders tied up thick like 50/40/30/20 lb. I have been using it on my CND Salar and at 750 grains It will travel 110 to 130 feet, with little effort. I may trim it a foot or two at the rear as it feels like I'm just starting to overload the rod and take the forward cast a little deeper into the butt. I like the head as it gets the fly down quick. I had thought the thicker section in the middle would feel or cast weird, but there is no problem. On closer examination, I can't see a difference in thickness on the 11/12. Also, when I weigh the head in 1/3 sections, the weights are the same. Maybe you can see the difference in the lighter heads, I don't know. Overall, I'm happier with the head than I thought I would be.

Matt Burke

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use the incut 10/11 F/I/3 head on a Sage 10140 ... add polytips on occasion. It casts clean and swings smooth in fast walking, 6' deep water. Like Rich i'm lusting after a multi tip head ... but want and need are two different things. ... think i can get by with just this line for most water i fish with this rod ... may cut off 5+ feet after longer testing period.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts