Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One more Feather Wing. I used the hackle tips I had prepared using hackle pliers and hair dryer, in my last post. As you can see the hair dryer sets a real nice bend in the stems. I changed it up a little for this fly to demonstrate the different angles you can set a feather wing. Though I like a higher riding wing, there are times when I like a more tightly compressed profile. I blended the dubbing for this fly using a coffee grinder. I find blending a few colors together, in this case orange, hot pink, pink, and yellow, adds to the overall composition of the fly. Have fun with this one and thanks for looking.

Feather Wing

Hook: 1-3/0
Tag: Flat silver tinsel
Tail: Hot pink G.P. Tippet
Ribbing: Flat pearl Mylar followed by silver oval tinsel
Body: First third hot pink floss, last two thirds dubbing
Collar: Orange schlappen followed by a few turns of shrimp pink guinea
Wing: 4 dyed orange grizzly hackle tips.

Start the tying thread at the bend of the hook. Secure in a length of silver tinsel. Wrap the tinsel down the bend stopping when the tinsel is in line with the point of the hook. Wrap the tinsel back to the tie in point and secure. Clip a clump of barbs from a tippet feather and secure in as a tail.

Move the tying thread forward 1/3. Secure in the oval tinsel followed by the Mylar. Secure in a length of floss and wrap to the tail joint, securing the tinsels as you go. Make sure you cover all of the under wraps before returning the floss to the tie in point. Do not clip the tag end

Select a Gadwall feather which has longer barbs on the right side of the feather. Clear all the barbs and fluff from the left side of the feather. Secure in the feather by the tip. Using the tag end of the floss build a dubbing loop. Load the loop and give it a spin. Wrap the tying thread to the eye of the hook.

Bring the Mylar forward making 5 open wraps, followed by the oval tinsel, followed by the Gadwall.

Secure in a schlappen hackle and wrap as a color. Follow the schlappen with a few turn of guinea.

Prepare four saddle hackles for the wing. Select four feathers of equal length and shape, two from the left side of the neck and two from the right side of the neck. By selecting feathers from the edge of the neck you should find that they have a natural curve in the stem, if they don’t, hit them with the hair dyer. The two pairs are then matched together to create the wing. Gauge the wing to length and then clear all the excess barbs and fluff from the stems. While maintaining a firm grip on the four hackles, insert the stems through the eye the fly. The stems are then secured and clipped.

Whip finish and cement.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,734 Posts
Was wondering where

My free coaching lessons went

Glad to see you back at it Marty

Great fly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts