Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read the book. Highly recommend. Interesting about how obsessed salmon fly tiers can get about the pursuit of rare materials. I can relate how us split cane rod builders get about our obsession.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
yeah. riveting.

spoiler: he takes his wife and a bodyguard to a flute fight.

anyway... whatever happened to those iraqis?

ha ha,
cheers,

shawn (who, right this second, is staring at 6no. western tragopan)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Just read the book. Highly recommend. Interesting about how obsessed salmon fly tiers can get about the pursuit of rare materials. I can relate how us split cane rod builders get about our obsession.

"Yes, THIS feather will catch me more fish !!!!!!!"

And the guy behind you throws a hideous glob of craft fur and gets whallopped.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Definitely a great read! Really enjoyed it myself!

·
Registered
853 Posts
it'll wane...

cheers,
shawn
Says someone who is an accomplished Atlantic Salmon Fly tier. I recently finished this book and was dismayed. I fear it had no impact whatsoever on the pursuit of rare feathers for ...what? I'm not sure what disappointed me most, the history of the extermination of critters or the ambivalence that exists today regarding endangered species. Sadly, I fear we will never learn, or even worse, never care about how we impact the natural world. When they're gone, they're gone. Happy Earth Day...a day late.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I couldn't put the book down. Frankly, was disappointed in myself for having never previously recognized the connection between certain tying and the illegal feather trade. Now kind of appalled at the impact on endangered species, let alone things like theft from museums and scientific establishments. Even after reading the book I had some skepticism until a fishing trip where a guy in the lodge sort of bragged about how he sourced illegal feathers. Couldn't figure out how someone could be proud of that.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm disappointed that nobody has commented on what a risible sentence the sniveling little flautist Edwin Rist received.

Upon taking the bench to pronounce sentence on Rist, Judge Stephen Gullick opined, "The loss of [the History Museum's] birds is a natural history disaster of world proportions. These were in effect priceless specimens, both in terms of their financial value but also in terms of their scientific interest. They are literally in many cases irreplaceable."

Rist's sentence for committing a crime that was a natural history disaster of world proportions? Twelve months, suspended. Rist never spent so much as a single night in jail.

And from the "You Can't Make This Stuff Up" file, Judge Gullick justified the lenient sentence on the grounds of precedent because Borat's brother, Dr. Simon Baron-Cohen, director of the Autism Research Centre at Cambridge University, diagnosed Rist with Asperger's syndrome. Asperger's syndrome does not appear in the DSM-5, having been folded into the umbrella diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I enjoyed the book, although I'm not sure how much I would have if I hadn't been a fly fisher/tyer. The real tragedy isn't that many of the stolen feathers have been lost forever, but that many of the species became "rare", and were driven to the point of extinction to begin with, in the name of fashion/sport/etc.
IMO, whether the feathers sit in a museum drawer, or tied to a hook shank, doesn't really matter, as the most significant damage doesn't change. More often than not, the importance of a species was (and all too often, still is) determined soley by its benefit to us.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Says someone who is an accomplished Atlantic Salmon Fly tier. I recently finished this book and was dismayed. I fear it had no impact whatsoever on the pursuit of rare feathers for ...what? I'm not sure what disappointed me most, the history of the extermination of critters or the ambivalence that exists today regarding endangered species. Sadly, I fear we will never learn, or even worse, never care about how we impact the natural world. When they're gone, they're gone. Happy Earth Day...a day late.
We should be angry on Earth day not happy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts