Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was been awhile since I've dyed polar bear and I have three gorgeous pieces of hide that I want to color BUT I don't want to ruin them in the process.

I once had this process well documented as to time, temp, dye bath concentration/composition, etc but I can't find my notes.

The big thing I want to prevent is destroying the natural "lacquer" by going too hot on the temp... Help please!

thanks

Steve Cole

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
LOVED the header on this one.

Us 'old guys' wonder about a different set of 'now whats?'

:eek:

:D

That aside, love working with PB, but if you have same, you'd better be able to prove you've had it pre-1972.:Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
371 Posts
you'd better be able to prove you've had it pre-1972.:Eyecrazy:
Ahhh, I wouldn't get too worried about that. Who would you have to prove it to?

As far as dying, my standard rule is hot but not so hot that it would burn your skin. If it doesn't burn your skin, it wont kill the fur either.

Polar bear...love that stuff. CJ

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Fred.... pun was totally intended! And the pieces are from a bear taken in '69 around Pt. Hope, AK

Catskilljohn... that rule of thumb makes total sense. I will give it a go.

Thanks!

Steve

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
Single hand rod 63 years, Spey 12 years Fly tying 63 years
435 Posts
Look up info --by A.K. Best he has a book out on dying. He recommends no hotter than 125 degrees F. I believe. I have dyed lot of polar bear. Some tanning jobs not very good so had the skin come apart when the hair was heated to much so don't cook the hair. Polar bear takes radian colors very well.
BJ

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
There is a Facebook group all about dyes. I think it's called dyeing fly tying materials. I'm sure some of those guys could give the exact info you need, in fact someone posted some PB they did like a week ago

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks...

Numerous "leads" to track down now... thanks to all for the advice and suggestions.

Steve Cole

·
Registered
482 Posts
search

Southsound, There is a great deal of very good dying advice in the achives. Do a search and you can find a great deal of inof.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I and several others have posted quite a lot of info on dyeing over the last 6 or so years. You can access all this info by simply using the site's search function for the topic "dyeing materials". Doing the search will give you tons of info and avoid those of us who have posted stuff on dyeing having to retype what we've already provided.

The temp I use to keep hair on the hide is 160-170 degrees F.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts