Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sitting here nursing a glass of Limousine Oak Glenlivet and thinking about all the fine malts I've been privileged to taste over the years. This glass is nearly the end of the bottle and I am going to treat myself while buying gift bottles for the holidays.

Thinking back I recall a long term contract in El Segundo CA where we would forfeit dinner to spend our per diem on the best of the best scotch at the hotel bar. The LA Hilton carries some FINE scotch and the bar tender cranked up the selection on our behalf. He'd surprise us with a new $15 per shot malt, and we could not resist. Those were the days when software companies like the one I worked for rode the top of the tech wave and we consultants were surfin' hard. We would work thru dinner without a bite but never miss last call at the hotel. Having since 'wiped out' of high tech I am less disposed to such antics, but I need to replace this bottle I am about to drain with the next glass.

So I ask the collective wisdom of the greatest spey community on earth - what fine single malt can I replace this bottle with, and what do you like about it?

I thank you in advance for the help in this urgent matter ;)

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Single Malt

Single Malt Scotch has been the choice of many of Drinkers myself included for years.

For years distilleries in Scotland have turned out two types of whiskey: malt and grain, which were traditionally combined in various amounts to create the finished product, a blend.

No dought there are some great single malts but has our rush to embrace these moved us away from the true Scottish Art of alchemy and artistry of hand blending.
Showcasing the best feature of a number of these individual whiskeys_ the Smokey peat of one malt of the herbal lift of a soft-grain whiskey- a good blender can achieve a depth no single malt could match.

Drinking single malt has been likening to gobbling nuts, sugar, butter and flour separately in lieu of enjoying a cookie.
Could it be that the parts are really nothing when it is compared with the whole.

For all these years could I have been dreaming of the wrong nirvana?

Nah! But I got you thinking Didn’t I Fred.

My Favorite is what Fred Evans is drinking.

:devil:

·
Registered
29 Posts
A few weeks ago, a friend gave me a whisky I had never heard of before. It was a 12 year-old Highland Park. At first I thought it was a joke – named after a city in southern California. Then I took it on a trip to the Snake and gave it a taste. Whoaaa!

When I returned home, I looked it up in Michael Jackson's Malt Whisky Companion (1995). He scored it 90 out of 100 and called it "the greatest all-rounder in the world of malt whisky." I haven't seen it at any of the state liquor stores yet, but it has made me just about leave my beloved Bunnahabhain.

Leland.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Juro,

Commercialization aside I tend to favor The Macallan. The older the better. Sweet nectar of the Gods dripping on your tongue.

For something a little more obscure, at least in the states, I liked Edradour while staying in Perthshire.

If your not totally against it a good single malt Irish is pretty nice too. The exact name fails me right now, but it is Bushmills (Black Bush??) in the 18 yr or older.

It's all good.

William

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ardbeg - Single Islay Malt ....

This is scotch that "separates the men from the boys" - posers need not apply :smokin:

It goes very well with that Cuban powerhouse cigar - the Bolivar Robusto :devil:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Juro,
It depends what kind of whisky do you like.
If you like very strong taste you might want to get yourself a bottle from the isle of Islay. Like Lagavulin 16yo.
If you're not into those strong smoky stuff maybe some speyside stuff would suit you better... like Macallan.

Anyway, you can read the typical characteristics of the malts by the production areas: www.scotchwhisky.com/english/about/malts/index.htm
Just click the region and scroll down to see the typical malt's characteristics.

Here's on the other hand is a place where you can read some comments by whisky/distillery name:
www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jhb/whisky/malts.html

Anyway, choosing your whisky is not always easy. It's like choosing your spey rod :). One man's thrash is another's treasure.

I've tasted some whisky... I'm a member of the Malt whisky association in Finland (youngest member :devil: ).

Btw Kush, that's actually Ardbeg.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Juro,
speybum, talks sense the men in the industry drink a high class blend rather than a single malt.

Dana, did I not convert you to Glen Deveron? Will I have to send more samples, you wil have to buy another reel, I have a lovely 3 3/4 that you would realy like.

leland Highland park used to be the futhest north single malt from the Orkney Islands but I think now that Shetland is producing a single malt.

Me I don't drink the stuff, I drank far too much as a teenager and my stomach just rejects it shame rrealy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It is true that if you want your whisky to be the same year after year you'll have to go with a blend (regular malt & grain or pure malt).

But if you like a little change once in a while you can choose a single malt for that. There are small variances in nuances between casks and thus between bottles too. Sometimes you get a bottle that suits your mouth better, sometimes worse.

I like blendeds but I love some single malts.
My favourite is Laproaigh. It seems to be a whisky you either love or hate.

Blends just don't have that certain edge/kick. IMHO.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
SMS,

Right you are - I guess my eyes were watering as I was sampling the beastie while I typed!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
My Favorite is what Fred Evans is drinking.

Right on Aaron!!

So many single malts, so little time!!!! Best time I've ever had with 'single malts' was changing planes at Heathrow Airport. Had about 3 hours to kill, no where to go .. etc. So deside to wonder the duty free shops.

DEAR LORD!!! Several of them had scotch 'tasting bars.' Ended up having to check my carry on luggage and buy another bag to lug home all my 'treasures!' :smokin:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
If in the mood for peat then Lagavulin. If not then Glen Morangie Port Wood Finish. I will have to try the Ardbeg. next time Kush comes south;) ;) .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lagavulin - for the heavy

Glen Morangie - for the lighter

I've got a bottle of Laproaigh at home - waiting for the right day...

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Never got the whole scotch thing. Why wince when you drink.:)

Give me a good American bourbon anyday.

Try Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve Bourbon 20 year.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
cough..cough...hack...the great thing about bourbon is the barrels can only be used once - so they get passed on to scotch distillers :devil:.

But seriously, I've had one bourbon I liked - what was it Dana ? (We got real stupid on the Dean with it :eyecrazy: )

My comment on the Islays, while I have developed a bit of a taste for the "medicine", I do like to cleanse the palette from time to time with a Macallan.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Fav sipping Scotch: Balvenie Doublewood 10 or 15 yr., I prefer the 10
Fav drinking Scotch: Famous Grouse, blend
Fav cigar+Scotch: any of the real smokey Islay brands, Lagavulin 16Yr preferred with a nice Cubano

Juro, just buy a bottle of something you have not had (much of) before and experience/experiment

Sean, Blasphemy & foul language not allowed on this post:devil:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Whiskey Hobo

I guess I'm just a damned old redneck because "JD" rides with me and I'm not talking about that guy down in Oregon.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
MJC you are not all bad.

JD By the neck does that Bring back the memories
A long tug on the jug Chased by some Colombian Coffee and Breakfast at HOG BROTHERS CAFÉ.

Ten minuets to the Tarmac and four hours in a Super Cub.

Next six weeks in paradise no cars, not phones and no problem.

:smokin:

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Hey Fred

What was the heavily alixer that pupafoo (Sing) brought to dinner?

Now come on and Share it not nice to bogart.

;)

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
You Animal you!

"dunhill" (the bottle is in lower case letters).

God only knows what Sing paid for this as he'd had 'it' for some time ... but who cares. He can get us another bottle ANY TIME!!

Mellow, mellow, mellow.
:smokin:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts