Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
curious what you guys would recomend for replacment on factory running lines. Any opinions on which ones are thinest, float good, and shoot well with little or no memory would be great!

G

·
The best overall running line for coldwater use that I'm familiar with is MiracleBraid, now marketed by Airflo. It's incredibly light so it shoots a long way, has NO memory, floats, and doesn't tangle but maybe once every one hundred casts for me. For extreme distance you could choose Rio SlickShooter, but for all around use nothing I've found beats MiracleBraid. The best flyline type running line is also made by Airflo, although I think most of these types are quite similar. By the way, for the last several years Airflo has made the heads and running lines for Loop. I think the last year that SA made them was about 2001.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
This past season I used a Skagit line by Monic (which I also really liked) and their running line was excellent. Both are made on a 70 lb spectra core, the superbraid is light and strong - and for me the coolest thing - is that there is zero stretch!

Talk about sensitivity to plucks and grabs! It took some getting used to, the first grab I had was a typical Intruder yank and it almost took the rod out of my hand! Yet, even on those takes where the fish merely "stops" the fly, the sensation is immediate and very positive. It is a great line to fish.

As for its handling properties, it has a good finish and shoots well with no more tangling issues than with the Slick Shooter that I otherwise use. I like the stuff and just got a couple of more 100' spools.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
What exactly is Miracle Braid

Does it have a braided core,,,like a flyline? Is it mono, like slick shooter? Or is it that stuff with the ridges? What is the diameter of this stuff? How does it compare with Guidelines LRL shooting line? And what does it cost?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Jd

The sample I have is 40 yds and 35#. It is not round and a little over .040 in. It cost 24.95 from Red Shed. It has a braided outer core much like the braided mono. It has a multifiliment core, not sure it is braided, stuffed up the center of the braid. I am not sure what polymer is used. It floats, does not absorbe water, and sinks easily. It shoots well and is quite free from tangles. I can let you know more after I have a chance to fish it this summer.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Miracle Braid is basically stuffed braided mono. The also make the tactical running line which is a no stretch fly line type running line that I prefer, mainly because that miracle braid does not behave as nice as the tactical stuff. Just does not sit down in the basket that well. However for river fishing on skagit lines it could be a good way to go.

-sean

·
JD
3,641 Posts
It floats, and sinks easily

Now thats a good one. But I think the thing that I dislike most is that it is a stuffed braided mono. How do you loop that? I suppose one could whip a braided loop over it. A braided loop over braided mono. That sure makes a lot of sense.:Eyecrazy: More and more, I am leaning towards skinny flyline.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Jd

Two options. You can cut back some of the core and do a standard braid loop, or, as you suggested, whip a braided mono loop to the end. That is my preference right now.

I am not sure it is mono for the braid. If it is, it is very different than the mono usually used for braided mono loops.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
TimDog,

Mine were trial samples that Monic sent me directly. If you go to their webite www.monic.com and check their retailer page I am sure you can find a shop near to you.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Monic fly lines

Seems strange to me that a company located in Boulder Colorado has dealers in New Zealand, Italy, and South Africa. But none in Oregon or even California.:Eyecrazy: They need a rep, a pro staffer, tryer outer in Oregon. And it might as well be me.:lildevl:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
JD, maybe you should go for it - I really like the lines :smokin: !

·
Registered
545 Posts
I really have been digg'n the 35 lb. slick shooter. I have also been using the SA .031 orange running line and loving it for a "skinny fly line" as JD mentioned. Very skinny, supple, it floats and doesn't tangle often.

Greg

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Rio Powerflex Core Shooting Line

·
Registered
119 Posts
Monic Fly Lines

If you guys would like to more questions about monic fly lines . I'll try and answer them for you . I'll I can say right now is that we are not calling it a skagit head per say but a short spey.

Thanks Jim Reales

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
But I think the thing that I dislike most is that it is a stuffed braided mono. How do you loop that?

It is very easy to make nice blind loops in Miracle Braid. They can be made any length one desires. Just get a hold of the core with the forceps and start working the braid downward until 10" 0r 12" or core is exposed. Cut the core off and work the braid bach out until it is smooth. Then just make the loop in the normal fashion.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi

I have a Guideline S3/4 Spey shooting head and the Guidleine LRL ( standard coated/floating) running line and the Guideline flat beam( GL Shooter) from Jack @ Irish Angler

Without a doubt the flat beam casts further than the LRL, but!!! is far more difficult to manage.

Guideline S3/4 Shooting Head and the LRL has become my goto big water setup

Will

G

·
JDJones said:
Now thats a good one. But I think the thing that I dislike most is that it is a stuffed braided mono. How do you loop that? I suppose one could whip a braided loop over it. A braided loop over braided mono. That sure makes a lot of sense.:Eyecrazy: More and more, I am leaning towards skinny flyline.
JD,

The confusion is my fault. The running line I use was sold by Rio. It took some research, but Rio called it their Braided Floating Shooting Line. They actually had three sizes, 24lb, 27lb, and 35lb. I bought a couple of spools of the 35lb in about 1998 and have been using them ever since. I know that Rio discontinued the product several years ago because the supplier no longer would supply it to them. When I ordered Miracle Braid for a customer, one look told me it was the same product. Therefore I've been telling folks that the same running line I use is now available from Airflo. Wrong. As pointed out, they are similar, especially in appearance, but are not the same. The Rio product floats very well, shoots like the dickens, does not tangle, and lasts for a long time. I use mine for Atlantic salmon and steelhead fishing as well as my pelagic fishing for sailfish and the like. Rio just informed me that they do not have any in stock, at least not that they can sell, and do not expect to get any in within the immediate future. That's a shame, because I will really miss it when what I have finally wears out. It is described by Rio as a polypropylene braided shooting line with a center core. I hope this helps clarify things.

Additional edit: I noticed my quote box didn't include your title "It floats-it sinks... Obviously, the Rio products floated, and well as I pointed out, and Miracle Braid sinks as was pointed out in another post in the thread. Rio gives some pretty clear directions for creating a blind splice loop with their product. To be honest, I used Trey Combs' method using 50lb braided loops as I also use the running line for sailfish, etc. Every few years I redo those connections, but I've never had one come close to failure. Let me know if you're interested, and I can tell you Rio's method for the blind splice. However, if you can't get the stuff, I don't know what use it would have for you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts