Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I was wondering if anybody had any "go to" rods for light mid-summer,smaller flys and Drys, floating line fish that they could recommend I try out. Specifically grilse and sea trout/char in the medium size rivers of Nfld.& Lab. but light steelhead rods would suffice. Thanks

·
Recently Spey'd
816 Posts
I like the RB Meiser 12'6 7/8 & the GLoomis 13'4" 5/6 Metolius. Great light line rods.
Try them with the Cnd lines.

·
just one more cast...
163 Posts
Summer NL rods

Hi Mitch,
I've been carrying 3 2-handed rods on summer trips to NL over the past few years, a T&T 1307 (my all-round favorite), a Loop Blue 7116 (the only 2-hander I've found pleasant for throwing dead-drift dries all day, when heat and low water dictate), and a Loop Yellow 9132 for bigger water or heavy wind (e.g., Portland Creek Pond runout, and the Pinware). If I were to carry just one, it would be the T&T, without a doubt,,, love that stick:D I have in the past brought 14 and 15ft'ers up, but kinda found them to be overkill on all but the biggest water I fish, and downright awkward on small and medium water.
Cheers,
John

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Specifically grilse and sea trout/char
I'm also a big fan of the T&T 1307-3 but for the fish in question, I would suggest you also take a look at the 1206-3. For fish up to 10# it is more than enough and is such a pleaure to fish dry flies off of. It matches quite well with the 5/6 CND line.

If you are targeting larger fish then I would go with the 1307-3.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The Sage 6126 is a great light line rod though it has been discontinued. Gary Anderson makes some light 6 wts and even lighter rods that are very nice.

·
just one more cast...
163 Posts
sinktip said:
I'm also a big fan of the T&T 1307-3 but for the fish in question, I would suggest you also take a look at the 1206-3. For fish up to 10# it is more than enough and is such a pleaure to fish dry flies off of. It matches quite well with the 5/6 CND line.

If you are targeting larger fish then I would go with the 1307-3.

Sinktip, I totally agree!

"Problem" is, on the rivers in question, there is almost aways a mix of MSW fish (10-18#) in with the grilse, the proportion depending on the timing and the specific river one is fishing, and on some rivers, hawgs of 20+ are a real possiblilty. Those targeting grilse are usually after one for the pot.

In early July, we target seatrout at the rivermouths with 6wt single-handers and small (#12-16) dries, quite a blast,,,, and soo delicious...

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great!

thanks for all the suggestions guys:D Just got into the spey this atlantic salmon season and now i'm hopelessly addicted! "Macspey" good advice I'll Have to give those rod's a test run. I love my VPS 9140-4 but as you sed it's only comfortable on the Gander, Exploits and lower Humber, Especially the lower humber I wouldn't go any lighter then an 8WT. 40 pounders are hooked every year and most of them lost due to being under equipped.:Eyecrazy:
your right, Even in mid-summer their are sometimes fish up to 20-25lb. spotted in with the grilse. depending on the river.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
John,

If you are chancing fish in the 15-20+ range then I agree, the 1206 is light and the 1307 makes more sense.

'tip

·
Registered
599 Posts
rods I like

The 13'4 GLoomis Metolius is great.

I just got a Meiser 12'6'' 4/5/6 and will be trying it out on the Grande Ronde for four days starting the 29th of this month. Have cast it with 385 grain full floating Skagit head for skaters and will see how it does on light steelies.

Rphelps:smokin:

·
Banned
974 Posts
I have a 12'6" 678 Meiser MKS as well. Life stuff has prevented me from truly testing the rod this year but I bet it would wonderful on the Summer Runs.

- David

·
Registered
254 Posts
Rick J said:
The Sage 6126 is a great light line rod though it has been discontinued. Gary Anderson makes some light 6 wts and even lighter rods that are very nice.
I would never part from my 6126. Played with it all summer. I'd like to build a back up for the summer from one of the Meiser blanks mentioned above. I'm afraid I'd never touch my 6126 again though. Oh well, just as long as I still have it in the collection.

·
Registered
599 Posts
different action

The Meiser 12'6'' four piece for 4/5/6 I got is the Highlander action, not the MKS which is a sweet action, but the Highlander is different.

I also have the 6126 Sage brownie three piece custom built for me by Keith Burkhart. Very sweet rod and a gem to look at from the creative hands of Keith. Caught many North Ump summer fish on it and handled all just fine.

Rphelps:smokin:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've been using my 6126 for some time now and have been loving it. Just got the 5120 the other month and I have to say that I believe it will replace the 6126 for "summer work."
thanks
slim

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
My 'new' choice ... ?

Gary Anderson's "new" 7139-4; a true '7 wt' rod matched with a 450 grain Vision ACE shooting head. This baby zips line like you can't believe. Better yet, the shooting head will also easily handle poly sinking leaders.

·
Registered
91 Posts
RPhelps,I was wondering what lines you use on your Meiser 12'6" 4/5/6 Highlander? I'm getting the rod built at this very moment.Any help would be appreciated.Thanx.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts