Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this rod forever and still enjoy fishing it. I currently have a windcutter 7/8/9 on this rod and have about worn it out. Thinking of maybe a new mid spey, or maybe a long belly line. What would you all recommend as a good line for this rod? I use it mostly for winter steelhead with sink tips. Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hmmmm. ....
You may find this rod to be a better fit with the WC 9/10/11
There are many of us that think that some of the line req.'s are wrong on this one.
I have fished it with the 9/10/11 for a couple of years now.

I would be interested in other feedback, but if you have a buddy, try to try that line.
Cheers
Erik

·
Registered
323 Posts
St Croix 14/9

Used a Wincutter 8/9/10 with tips, also cast the Windcutter with the 8/9/10 upgrade both worked well.

Ian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The windcutter 789 I have on this rod it too light, however I stuck with it and made it work. Everyone always suggests a windcutter for this rod. Is it because it is considered a beginner's rod and a windcutter is easy to cast? Anyway just curious if anyone fishes anything else with this rod. It was my first spey rod and still is my only one but soon to became my backup. Thanks.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I ended up useing a buddies 14' for 9 St. Croix for a week up in BC a couple falls ago. I thought that an 8/9 Midspey was a nice fit. The only other line I tried on it was the Windcutter 9-10-11. The Midspey was my choice of the two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.