Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Thinking Stage and open for discussion. This is only my opinion. Maybe it has merit or maybe not.

Reading Miez's post of "Favorite Lines Casted" at the SSC, got me thinking. My favorite line came from Bill Koran, "I see more similarities than differences in spey casting styles". What a profound statement. My little pea-picking brain has been mulling that over for two week now. So far, my thinking is: Every style must pick-up the line and have an anchor point (touch and go, waterborne and sustain); each style must change direction of the rod tip from back to fore (Circle-up or Key-up); each delivery motion starts slowly then has and exponential acceletory point (Flip-the-tip) followed by a complete, firm stop. The delivery strokes can be long, short or medium; the line profile can be a number of configurations (SH, SB, Mid B etc.); and rod can be of any length and action. The Timing and Tempo is critical to successfully cast and upon developing one's style the caster makes everything "look" easy. What MUST happen in all styles is: Minimize slack, straight-line tip path, exponential acceleration of the delivery stroke, stroke length dictated by line carried, 180 degree principle, belly size (backcast) matters, line stick (correct amount) is critical and a Stop. Learn a delvery stroke and then you can adapt your style to any equipment. Change your effort during any portion of your casting cycle and you have a way to adjust to equipment in hand.

Thanks Bill for making me think!!!

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
"don't be a nodding donkey" - Derek Brown

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nodding Donkey?

Steve, mostly I feel like a Jack Ass. Klem

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
uh-huh

i don't want to think too hard when i fish. before and after;yes,,,,as far as a favorite line=i much prefer any line that's `wet' heheheeee,wheee :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Favourite Line

My favourite line came from an old fishing friend of mine from the Scottish Borders,who sadly is no longer with us he had a wealth of experience in Salmon fishing and life in general.
His line par excellence was "You have twae een, twae ears and yin mooth use them in proportion"this line silenced many a gentleman at the dinner table or fishing hut!
As far as a favourite fishing line goes the Carron Jetstream

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Klem...

That's a good subject, here's mine:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hey Klem...

When a caster test's for Spey Instructor Certification, does the caster get to choose their own specific line and rod marriages <> Or is the caster randomly given un-familiar off-the-rack rods and various lines by the folk's giving the test ?

Meiz

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thickie Test (THCI)

Meiz,
The testie's choice of rod, line, reel and leader length. The rod is max 15' for 10 weight and leader is min 10' to max 15' in length. The tester will mark off 80' and the testie switches the line down to qualify the line. The fly must hit or go just pass the 80' mark. Depending on who is the tester you will either qualify each series of cast at the 70' mark, 80' mark and 100' mark orrrr qualify at 80' then pull in 10' for the 70' series of cast and pull off 20' from the 80' mark for the 100' series. Suggest you mark your line at 60', 70' and 90' then add 10' or 11' foot leader. My feeling on the test is if you prepare for the thickie's knowledge and performance you will pass. By prepared I mean answer every question 12 ways (short, concise answers work best), do all the performance tasks with faults and without, know the cures to faults, perform faults followed by the cure cast, demonstrate how beginners looks followed by a good cast and you will pass. Also be prepared to choke. Basic knowledge has a way of escaping you under PRESSURE. Practice the test with someone giving you the tasks and questions in a real sitting. It's a fun journey until the actual test then it's PRESSURE. PM for more info if you wish. Klem

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Favorite Line?

It has something to do with a spinning rod during some kind of test? :hihi:

Can't remember it (because when I was told of it; tears where falling), but it happen at the Sandy Spey Clave. :hihi:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hey Brian,Klem...

That's kinda what I heard too, something about a spinning rod... ? };^)...!!!

That's why I was asking.

Heck if it's casters choice, someday I might even have a chance at certification ...I'm thinking it's E-Bay time for the Zebco, and up-grading to one of those fancy Mitchel 300s.

Meiz

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
K.i.s.s

I thought you where serious about the rod thingie. "FLOAT and FLY with a spinning rod?" ---You got me on that one. I'll never live that one down. I think I will come out with a ultra condensed Skagit Rod and Line System: Klem's Intriguing Skagit System or K.I.S.S for short. My booth at the next sports show will be right between the Skagit Boy's and the Bank Maggots. I believe I can shorten up the shooting head to around 12" (inches) and the sink tip to, let's say, 3" or 4" inches. That should do the trick. With that short of set-up, the stroke length will work just fine on a spinning rod. Seriouly, I knew a guy 30 years ago that use a Zebo reel on a 9' fiberglass fly rod with an extension butt. He developed a 6' heavy sink tip and used that for his summer steelheading with plastic table grapes for bait. He caught a lot of fish. So I think the skagit style really started on the Nestucca River in the 70's. Skagit has a better ring to it though. KISS

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yep,

My casting has a long way to go to match up to the caliber of fellas like Leroy and yourself...But I thought it was a funny story as told by Brian at the Sandy Clave.

Never thought of using plastic table grapes....Boy now that's finding your inner bubba.

That's cool.

Now if ya take some purple dyed egg yarn, fuzz tie it into an egg pattern as big as a plastic table grape at the head of a heavy wire Partridge Bartleet and hackle with some of Mike Kinney's purple Pheasant Rump, collar with Black Artic Fox <> Dark Olive Bunny the body, gold ribbed, with a few strands of Bubble Gum Rhea....Put her on a plastic bubble with the new Mitchell 300 ....OHHHH Doggies...!!!

...Probably need to take in context that it's Vet's day, and I'm an old Vet <> So I've been partying all day...Along with painting the house and BBQ-ing for the painting crew....};^)...!!!

Looking forward to meeting you guys up in Corvalis at one of your gatherings this Summer.

Meiz...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I actually have two different favorite lines, the first being, "I'll be back." and the second, "Go ahead, make my day".
Stan

The road to fly casting excellence is a never ending journey.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Bob...

....Put her on a plastic bubble with the new Mitchell 300 ....OHHHH Doggies...!!!
I hope Mrs. Redshed doesn't see this. She's a confirmed fly and bubble fisher. At the Sandy Clave she finally got a fly rod in her hand and say's she likes it. Maybe that's the difference between a couple casting lessons from Katherine Hart of Rajeff's and me trying to tell her anything. :whoa:

·
Registered
202 Posts
MJC said:
Maybe that's the difference between a couple casting lessons from Katherine Hart of Rajeff's and me trying to tell her anything. :whoa:
As someone who has been married for ummmm... a bunch of years, I learned quickly that a husband should NEVER, EVER try to teach his wife anything. I came seriously close to getting divorced trying to teach my wife to drive a car with a manual transmission.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts