Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
shall we see where the `one rod only' popularity lies,,i'm surely going to need help from the moderaters here,but let's say you were,,,,,going down a canyon,,,,,for days,,,,a float thru wilderness,,,,,in a raft,drifter,etc.ONE two hander allowed,,,so what'll it be?,,,,not brand but length,what's YOUR weapon of choice,,lengthwise:confused:,,,i'll ad ,the species will be ALL that swim in fresh water,,,just in case!!!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
14' 9/10

·
Registered
630 Posts
14' 9/10

Long enough for a long belly and big water if pressed, but fine with shorter head lines and capable of fishing small water. I wouldn't go below a 9wt for an all-around.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Depends on river

For the Ronde 13' 8" for 9
For the Snake or Clearwater 15'6" or 16'7"

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
As close to 14' as I could get and

a 'multi-line' rod such as Meiser's "7-8-9' or the Burkie 8139.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Hammer,
One rod, that's not fair!!!!! :mad: If it's got to be, gimme a 14' 9wt and let me fish in a bad mood for the trip. But it will do pretty much anything I ask it, without being to big on the little fish (do I ever catch those:hehe: ) and not kicking my butt heaving it around all day. Though I am sure with one rod in the raft, Murphy would bite me in the butt and I would break it the first day.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Hammer a ? re your one rod question

Will you be fishing from the boat or raft as well as on shore.

If so, the only two handed rod that I would take would be one Bob Meiser's two handed 10'6" rods.

If you are casting out of the raft and the river is medium to large, I would opt for a 13'6" to 14' rod Euro Action unless the fishing is basically top water or with just a leader, then the Sage 7136 would work.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm just trying to guage,,`gut reaction',,,like,ohhh,cant' be without my,,,seems there's such a trend toward `shorties' i got the two-handers for no-backcasting,,not overhead,didn't need em' for that,,so ,that's all i'm doiing ,just guaging popularity,just courious:D

·
loco alto!
2,978 Posts
I own 4 speys - their lengths average to 14'4". So that's my vote.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi All.
Now as a one rod show, why not hit them with a big gun, a 10/11w 15 footer, the thinking behind this statement, you can handle almost all fish in almost all water and a raft trip will mean some fast water and fish of unknown size.

Added to the reason is any fish caught can quickly released increasing its chances for a healthy life.
And then we can add, even if it blows hard the big gun will combat the wind far better than any light weight line, if the fish are shy a 20foot plus leader and be used without much of a problem.

Kind regards.
Barry.

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
12'4"

1 - 20 of 56 Posts