Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than ask the "what rod works best for X trout?", I thought I'd ask what grain window folks like. I know a lot of us have TH 3 and 4 wts - and it seems like those are somewhat dialed in grain-wise across the board, but from what I've noticed, rods labeled 5 wts are sometimes all over the map. At least to me anyways.

So what's everyone's favorite grain window for the bigger boys? Scandi and skagit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
18' - 24" trout

I've been doing the trout spey thing for a long time & I have gone down from 350gr. - 420gr. to 250 - 325gr. over the past 10 years as my regular shooting head weights. SO - 250 - 325gr. skagit & skandi lines are a good window for trout in my opinion. If I am casting T-11 or T-14 + large sculpins or baitfish patterns I might go up to 350 - 375 gr.

Lawrence S

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I like 5wt Spey rods for trout fishing with larger flies and longer distances.

Scandi 300-320gr

Skagit 350-360gr

Most of the rods today with a rod numbered as 5wt Spey fit that grain widow,

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
850 Posts
Here where I'm at swingng for trout a bit smaller. 12-20" fish. That said anything over 275 skagit and its overkill big time as far as rod power & fish handeling capabilities. Only need bigger if the rod/line can't handle the tips & flys your trying to throw IMO.

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
432 Posts
I'm throwing 5/6 12'-6" TFO with a 360 gr. Scandi. Even a 16 inch rainbow puts a good bend in the rod.
Bjay

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here where I'm at swingng for trout a bit smaller. 12-20" fish. That said anything over 275 skagit and its overkill big time as far as rod power & fish handeling capabilities. Only need bigger if the rod/line can't handle the tips & flys your trying to throw IMO.
I find the 325 grain Rio Switch Chucker on my Scott T3H 1064 works nicely. It has power punch into the wind and throw larger flies BUT it feels "heavy" on the rod during the 'fishing ' part. Can anyone recommend an line favoured for more delicate casts... Swinging small soft hackles,for example?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I find the 325 grain Rio Switch Chucker on my Scott T3H 1064 works nicely. It has power punch into the wind and throw larger flies BUT it feels "heavy" on the rod during the 'fishing ' part. Can anyone recommend an line favoured for more delicate casts... Swinging small soft hackles,for example?
In my experience with many of today's trout spey rods,,, most 4 wt rods like a Scandi line in the 270-280gr range. This line with a leader of 1.5x the rod length, will be much lighter casting wrt the RIO Switch Chucker line.

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I owned and fished the Echo DH 4119 for many years,,, it is a great casting rod that falls outside the average 4wt. The rod really likes a 300gr Scandi and in fact the same generation Echo DH 5122 5wt is softer and deeper flexing with the same 300gr line.

I also like the RIO Switch Chucker design and have most of the line weights for my shorter rods, great for larger heavy flies.

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A lot of good info here. I was curious about what the consensus would be.

I run a few 4wt switches, and while I've been happy with that, I occasionally fish areas that have me undergunned - both in hot fish and size of streamers. I'll have to get after something that will toss in the neighborhood of 325-350 grains.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'm throwing 5/6 12'-6" TFO with a 360 gr. Scandi. Even a 16 inch rainbow puts a good bend in the rod.
Bjay
Well, that's good to hear, as I've recently acquired the 4/5 in the same model, throwing a 240 gr. Scandi. I think an average bluegill will bend this rod to the cork!!

As to the original post, FK touched on two rods I own as well. The 4 and 5 wt. Dechos.

I've never tried anything but a 300 gr. Scandi on the 4, but it does behave quite nicely with that.

With the 5, I started out with a 360 gr. Scandi on it, and it handled that wonderfully. Tried some heavier Skagit style tapers, and she just didn't like them. Tried the 300 gr. Scandi on her, and she came to life again! Now the 360 is cut back a bit to accommodate turning over some larger flies and heavier sinking poly's. Still dialing it all in, but I think I'm on the right track!

I posted this to somewhat illustrate that unfortunately, rods are all over the place sometimes, as far as what they like to throw, as well as the caster themselves. If you would have asked me a year ago, what's the best Scandi for the 5, I would have said the 360. Today, I would recommend the 300.

Experiment with what you have in the quiver already. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Good luck on the journey- it's a fun ride,

-Bill

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am running an SGS rod and line.
11'8" #4 spey power with a 315 gr. scandi head.

I am really into this setup. Has a nice friendly feel to it.
I think it will cover a lot of fishing scenarios.
Big thanks to Steve G. for helping me on the spey journey. :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Woohoo!

From the moment I caught my first trout(char) on a lighter (6110) at the time rod I have been hooked. Living in BC I am blessed with an abundance of fishing opportunities but chasing trout/char is tops.

I have 2 set-ups currently (3d is in the mail) and before I describe them I must state I enjoy throwing MEAT to these fish.

Sage z-axis 6110 throwing a 375 skagit short. 10' tips of T-10 - T-14 for sea-run bulls 18"-24"+

Or I use a 360 Scandi for summers.

For all my other trout (char) I've been using a sage ONE 4116.

325 gr skagit short and 10' of T-8

It is my go too for bulls and trout of the resident variety are concerned.

For smaller fish or flies I use the 275 gr Scandi short.

I'm so glad this sub-forum was created!!!

Jon

·
Registered
678 Posts
Glad the Z 6110 is working out for you Frenchie.

The sweet spot for my trout and grayling fishing is 240-280 grains, which I use on an Anderson 11'7" 3 weight and a Beulah Classic 10'6" 4/5 weight with much pleasure.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a 11' Guideline LPXE Switch in an 8/9wt (with an 18-21 gram grain widow that would make it a 5wt TH in most people's book), which I absolutely love paired with 350gr Rio compact Skagit. I usually fish it with 10' poly leaders. It is effortless to cast, and while the handle is weird--I don't notice it while fishing. I fish it for summer runs, but I would absolutely recommend it as a large trout rod. You would not be over gunned for an 18" trout and still not under gunned for a bright 10lb steelhead as I found last trip.

Joe

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Grain Rate of the line has almost zero to do with "fish fighting capabilities" that I see mentioned a lot. If the fish is large enough to bend the rod, it will bend the rod no matter how low or high your skagit grains are. If the ROD is to stiff, the fish won't put a decent bend in the rod. No ones ever complained of their skagit head being to stiff for the fish. Reading all this fish fighting capability talk this morning we tested a 450gr Skagit on a 11' 5wt switch. This set up is completely wrong for itself but to showcase the idea, a line FAR to heavy for its intention, effected the fish's ability to bend my rod almost zero percent. Even though the Skagit head was far above anyones recommended grain window for trout, it still wasn't to much to deteriorate the fish's ability to fight against the rod, the rod is what effects the ability to fight fish, not the line. (IMO)

A 8" rainbow trout still bent this rod right over even though the, grains were to heavy....

·
Registered
850 Posts
The Grain Rate of the line has almost zero to do with "fish fighting capabilities" that I see mentioned a lot. If the fish is large enough to bend the rod, it will bend the rod no matter how low or high your skagit grains are. If the ROD is to stiff, the fish won't put a decent bend in the rod. No ones ever complained of their skagit head being to stiff for the fish. Reading all this fish fighting capability talk this morning we tested a 450gr Skagit on a 11' 5wt switch. This set up is completely wrong for itself but to showcase the idea, a line FAR to heavy for its intention, effected the fish's ability to bend my rod almost zero percent. Even though the Skagit head was far above anyones recommended grain window for trout, it still wasn't to much to deteriorate the fish's ability to fight against the rod, the rod is what effects the ability to fight fish, not the line. (IMO)

A 8" rainbow trout still bent this rod right over even though the, grains were to heavy....

I think the talk of grain size to fish fighting is just a coralation of what rods are fished. I prefer rods that I like with 300 grains or less lines for trout so it is somewhat relivent but more just in the way of talking about what size rod than anythyning. That is also personal though since most people fish different lines on the same rod.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think the talk of grain size to fish fighting is just a coralation of what rods are fished. I prefer rods that I like with 300 grains or less lines for trout so it is somewhat relivent but more just in the way of talking about what size rod than anythyning. That is also personal though since most people fish different lines on the same rod.
Either way, each rod is different. Two of the same models could take grain lines to respond in the same manner. Maybe I wasn't clear on my statement, and somewhat upfront. I think people often get to caught into numbers written on lines and rods and let that determine whats "acceptable". Just a personal stand point but I find it hard to give advice on what line to use, but rather only offer that "window" and just because one says 250-350r line, that could mean a whole array of rods. Ive felt 6wt switch rods that could hardly handle a 250gr skagit, where in ones head they'd think that grain rod would bomb a 250 easily.

To not go on and on, if people used rods and lines with no numbers on them, or same effect if someone handed you a set up and you used it with a blindfold on. One would scare themselves in what they thought "felt best", where as on paper someone would look at those numbers people get sucked into and say no way would that be a good set up. There are rods in my arsenal where on paper look like a P.O.S, but if you picked it up and casted without knowing what was in your hands you wouldn't think twice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts