Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have the opportunity to fish some dries & skaters for Steel later this year, and will like to try to be prepared by tying up some in advance.

What are your favorite and/or successful dries & skaters for autumn steel?

All suggestions much appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,694 Posts
Be watching close

This should be fun..Hope the team adds pictures:hihi::hihi:

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
I only seem to reach for 2 anymore. For some dry/skate/wet hybrid action, its still really hard to beat muddlers and variations.

if you are looking for a pure top water experience, Todd skater is pretty hard to beat. Couple SBS around here I think. Little Wang. is the flies name

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
So You actually

Hitch the fly in back of the head and in front of the collar.. or am I reading this way wrong

My favorite is a fat headed, but not dense, Muddler, hitched between head and collar.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Excellent

Very innivative and for sure will be giving it a whirl

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
My favorite is a fat headed, but not dense, Muddler, hitched between head and collar.
That is a killer looking muddler. My all time favorite pattern. I love the sparseness of the deer hair head. I bet that thing moves water!

My favorite dries and skaters.... Muddler, Steelhead Caddis and a Foam-Lipped Popper.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
If you're fishing anywhere around the Skeena take Jaap's advice...

It's one thing to raise fish, it's another to have them commit to the fly. The skater that my guide ties isn't big and doesn't create a huge wake. Also on a tube like Jaaps.

I wouldn't disagree with folks who in one season will spend more time on the river than I could ever dream of in a lifetime...

·
Registered
517 Posts
It is a lot of true because even we are very good you can't be as good as professional who fish 200+ days a year and can test every day patterns and ideas on animals. Jaap's flies are much more for fish than for anglers but nobody is perfect (except our boss of course ;)) .

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Ralfish Post

Are the pics viewable to others

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Many thanks to all for the replies so far, and the great pictures.

I'll be tying up some of Jaap's tubes, as well as a few grease liners, muddlers, and October caddis.

I'll post up some pics when I've got some together

many thanks again; more ideas welcomed!!;)

Mike

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Although I am a huge advocate for natural materials, I VERY rarely use any synthetics in my flees skating is the exception that I have no issue whatsoever with foam. I want my fly to float as well as possible so foam it is, I generally tie and fish a simplified version of the skaopper. It floats perfectly and if you want to chug it you can.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Back Eddy: the box is finger jointed, from applewood 7"x4"x4" ;)

It's seldom that I sit down and tie 12 of the exact same fly. Things tend to wander as I explore ideas. So without sounding like a knob, your guess is going to be about as good as any detailed info as I can give you regarding materials. Also there are a few different versions of the "sort of not really stimulator" theme going on here. So a comprehensive materials list would take me an hour to type out. I can assure you, with these flies, or any of my steelhead flies, specific materials is not critical if certain attributes are met.. What is more critical is fishing the fly right in the right water for what you want to do. Having said that here is some basic info:

- tags if they look green are pearl mylar. Glued down with CA
- dubbed bodies are seal; burnt orange or "optic" black (look up Dick Van Demark if you don't know what is meant by optic)
- hackles, cheap dry fly hackles because they are stiff enough, have a bit of sheen and have a nice taper. If they aren't red brownishtanbuff they are natural grizzly.
- divided wings are moose
- thread is gelspun so you can pull the thread tight to secure the moose.
- hooks are up eye in sizes 4-10, heavy wire.

Fish these bugs hitched

1 - 20 of 20 Posts