Spey Pages banner

What is your favorite cast for a long line?

• Single

Votes: 194 60.8%
  • Double

Votes: 47 14.7%
  • Spiral

Votes: 38 11.9%
  • Circle

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • Snap T

Votes: 21 6.6%
  • Perry Poke

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there some casts that work best for long lines and some to avoid?

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
toss up

I cast farther with the single, but I really like the snake, whether on single or double spey side. Anyways, I picked the single because to me it is the cleanest, most efficient cast of them all.

All casts in the poll will work with long lines, but some are more traditionally associated and somewhat easier to manage with shorter bellies, such as the Perry and Circle/Snap.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I kind of agree with Dana here, the single is the most efficient, the one motion gets the line right back out there with real economy. That said, while there are times where I will use the single spey rather than the spiral roll, I chose the spiral in the poll because I cast further with it and still use it as my default cast.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Gad, good comments, but I'm with Rick.

A single spey, or the circle was my cast of "choice" until you watch Steve (and about 5 minutes of practice) do his single (or with REALLLLLY LONG LINE) the "double single' shoot line.

It's amazing (even for an average caster at best) how much line you can toss with this cast. Better yet, JD, Bob Meiser and I were 'teaching' a spey casting class to (with a couple of exceptions) folk (16 or 18) who had never held a spey rod until today. (Kind of makes your heart pump when you hand someone an $800 rod and say 'go play.')

Get them to 'master' the switch cast, a circle, then the 'single spirl. '

Had to admit, it was rather impressive the extra amount of line they could dump out into the air. "Last Cast Steve'' didn't get to be "#1" in the world by ...
fae

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I chose the single spey for its efficiency; however, I use the double as much as the single with these lines, it totally depends on whether it is river right or river left. Unfortuntely, the poll will not let me vote for both the single and double speys. And the snake is a very distant third for me.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I am choosing the single because its the cast I use the most when fishing. It gets the fly back in the water the quickest and for me has the most potential for distance. I will use the double when I have to but dislike it more and more, there's just to much fussing around with the double. I prefer to use the reverse single in its place, or better yet the spiral when I finally get it nailed down enough to consistantly fish with it. The double is good for one thing for sure, and thats for removing heavy tips from the water and thats what I use it for the most.

Brian

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
The Double , Single and them the Sanke

When it comes to Longbelly I like the Double but when it comes to getting the distance it would be the Single.

I work less with the Single and spend more time in the water but performing the double is just so much fun.

The snake roll is neat for working the same long line over a lie time and again.

Aaron

:cool:

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I choose the spiral or snake roll - the single may be a bit quicker and a bit more powerful but at least for me it is much more difficult to get a significant change of direction with the single than the snake and I often like to cast near 90 degrees to the flow with a big mend as opposed to quartering downstream - the snake and reverse snake makes this very easy.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Bob Pauli, Speybro

Last week I had the opportunity to fish the lower Rogue.

The wind was howling and whirling in the mornings and screaming upstream shortly after noon.

Thanks to Speybro, I took Rio's new Grand Spey 7/8 floater up with me. That line and my Sage 7141 and the Snake Roll did very well for me combined with a 15' furled leader.

Thanks to Bob Pauli for having the patience and human kindness to teach me how to do the Snake roll a few months ago. My Snake Roll is still not a thing of beauty, but I was able to get most of the line to the color change out on my snake rolls. With my crippled shoulder, the Snake is a far easier cast. Now I need to learn how to do River left or the reverse Snake. I did fairly well with the Single with this combo in the screaming afternoon winds.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
GS, have a similar problem with the Snake and Steve Choate's..

'single sprial.' With my right hand up/down stream I can blast the snake, but I'm like a cub bear playing with himself trying to do the SS.

Switch sides of the river and it's just the opposite 'problem.'
fae

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
fredaevans re River Left Snake Roll

Fortunately my wife bought me a new Tilley Hat (awesome hat) last week or I would be more brain damaged than normal.

I tried a suicidal snake roll from river left and the wind gusted upstream just as I got ready for the final manuever.

Fortunately the Tilley hat absorbed the impact and my Trophy Bride didn't see the impact. I saw, felt and heard it. This is why I do my terrible single spey with river left with my right hand the high hand.

By the way your leader for my new Meiser 5/6 rod worked great. It and 4# Seaguar tippet fooled a lot of Cuts on the Lower Chetco. It will be staying on my Battenkill LA with the Rio 5/6 Windcutter.

I will be trying your other leaders next week on the high flowing Yuba and American.

What is your formula/recipe for the 5/6 leader you sent to me. Thanks again, that leader worked great, well it was awesome.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
This past fall I began to use a "long-belly Perry Poke" rather than the single spey. I was using 16 and 17' rods and long belly lines between 85 and 100' in some really nasty conditions. Belly deep wading on slippery rocks, strong wind quartering upstream onto your shoulder and the need for long casts.

While a single spey was useable, the aforementioned conditions were not resulting in the most consistent results. The big culprit was not being able to consistently place my anchor correctly. The LB Perry Poke enabled me to accurately and consistently place my anchor - even for 90 degree angle changes - and the long rods easily picked up the "dump" and put it into a very dynamic V-loop. It was very satisfying and effective.

A secondary advantage I found with the LB Perry Poke was that the very precise control of the anchor allowed me to control and predict the size and shape of my d-loop. This became especially valuable where the bank behind me created concern for the longer d-loop. I simply set my anchor out a litlle further from me and utilized the room behind me a little better (and lost fewer flies to rocks!).

·
Registered
614 Posts
cast for long lines

Hi Guy's,
It has to be the planet cast, it's the only cast make for casting long lines, with very little effort, in fact most constant taper lines where made for this cast, the XLT is based on this style of casting.
It has to be the most fun , whacking out a long line with no effort.
Gordon.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Planet cast

Hi Jim,
This is an old cast from the river Spey/ Ness, used by Alexander Grant for casting a long constant taper sylk line, this is the cast he invented and used to set a world record cast 100 yrs ago, he was able to cast huge distance with out stripping line in, it was all well documented at the time it was Dec 1896, so not a new cast.
The exact cast was never written, and over the years lost, all the ghillie's i have spoken to have never heard of it, not even on the Spey.
I do believe it is as effective today as it was then, for fishing along line or sink tip.
IT is different to what we call a traditional speycast today, and and his idea is timing more like hitting a golf ball, you see golfers go back nice and slow then accelerate and the max speed is when the club face hits the ball, you never see them go back the same speed as they go forward, no control.
If Fact its the only way to cast with greanheart, but is get fun and still really effective with graphite.
Using this cast you can lift a big heavy fly with a sink tip, off the bottom, in one cast , up round and out, or cast the whole XLT in one ,easy.
I stated sometime ago that i would hopefully meet up with Way Yin, hope to do that in a couple of weeks, and he can give or post his opinion.
I think it is a cast that people will hear alot more about in the next year or so.
Got to go been out for dinner with some of the guy's from the Spey, and got to do a bbq for 40/50 guy's as the Spey opens tomorrow.:smokin:
Cheers Gordon.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have never found any reason to use anything but the Single Spey, I just cast over the left or right shoulder. But I agree with "Speygillie" that the Planet Cast is beautiful, effortless and very suited to the long line. The reason I prefer the Single Spey is that it allows me to vary the angel of my casts better. (But that´s only due to lack of training, you tend to stick with the things you are good at.. )

·
Registered
51 Posts
Gordon

Thanks for the information on the planet cast. I must go back and study my copy of "Fine and Far Off" more carefully:) It would be interesting to see a video clip of the cast sometime if that could be arranged. Have a good opening day.

Jim

·
Registered
150 Posts
Would have to go with the ness-style spey cast, without doubt the ultimate long cast stroke.

I like the snake roll with a down street wind, such an effortless cast.

I have never seen a perry poke or circle cast. Maybe one of the lads at the Jimmy Green event in May will demonstrate?;)

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Spiral Single

Unless there is a strong downstream wind, the single Spey is the cast of choice. Adding Steve's spiral to the lift as the casts get longer. If I'm on river right, I'm in hog heaven.:p River left, it's a toss up between the single Spey or the snake roll. Depends on the wind and the mood I'm in.:D Reverse casts?:saeek: not :tsk_tsk:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts