Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
It's gonna happen.
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. Reasonably new to posting here after many years of reading. Just curious what people like to fish when it's sunny. I have a whole arsenal of dawn/dusk and dark day patterns, but looks like a few bright days coming up in ID and thought I'd see what other folks like to fish or have confidence in. I usually just use more natural looking patterns with earthy tones.

Thanks in advance for any players. Hope some of you are getting out to swing a few!

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
For Summer fish I do not go over the top bright. Here are three of my favorites, the October Bright, Red Ween Gaddy, and the Dance Hall Floozy. The Floozy is as bright as I will go. I have never had much luck with super bright flies with a lot of flash and hot color. I am sure its a confidence thing. I have added a link to tying instructions for the Floozy. Its a mid day, sun in the face, kind of fly.

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/95-hooks-feathers-floss/52063-dance-hall-floozy.html

Attachments

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
Marty,

A couple years ago you posted a bright pattern for fall sunny weather fishing. It was a simply orange bodied, blue hackled, and white wing pattern on a smaller sized hook. I can't remember the name but I tied up a couple and took two nice Snake fish soon thereafter in the middle of the day under bright sun. I've carried a couple ever since.

Found it - the Deschutes Special
http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/95-hooks-feathers-floss/131777-deschutes-special.html

Tip

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I like the flees posted thus far. I am drawn to Mike's Sir Charles (top photo). It has accounted for hard grabs in bright sun for my summer steelhead fishing.

·
It's gonna happen.
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beautiful flies guys! Thanks for the replies and this gets my creative juices flowing. Trying to learn the Clearwater this season after spending the last 5 primarily on the Salmon. Finally managed to hook my first one last night on a No-name Summer Fly (orange butt, white wing). Giant buck! He schooled me. Multiple jumps, into the backing, and wrapped on a rock.

Stuck back in MT for the week and can't wait to get back over. These will give me some fun things to work on while I'm dreaming of another shot. Really appreciate it and these are gorgeous patterns!

·
It's gonna happen.
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been hearing a few guys who say they really like Akroyd variations.

·
Administrator
18,010 Posts
Finally managed to hook my first one last night on a No-name Summer Fly (orange butt, white wing)
It's the white wings ... I've had excellent success with white-winged flies on bright sunny days as well.

Old reliable .... the GB Skunk:

Low water hairwing version:

A couple weeks back, the fly above was responsible for my tangle with a mid-30'ish silver King. Just look at that wing glow ...

Mike

·
It's gonna happen.
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like that Skunk. Glow is undeniable! I'm sure all the orange rocks in the high desert make those things light up. I have a few Red Butt's in that style that I've had success with, too.

I used to be a full time trout guide and I've always loved Gary LaFontaine's writing. Almost got to meet him when I moved to MT, but his health deteriorated quickly and he passed away. Anyway, in his book Dry Fly: New Angles he describes his Theory of Attraction based on scuba and fly testing research he did with his crew on the Big Hole. Although it's trout based, steelhead have the same eyes and I think it's a cool thing to think about when selecting patterns that grab attention in various light conditions.

Of course, we all know it doesn't really matter what fly you tie on most of the time, and this is clearly overthinking it, but I need something to do when I can't fish!

I've still got the shakes. Gonna be a long week in the office!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts