Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there fishing the old Sage 16 ft. 3 peice 10 wt.. I would appreciate knowing what your favourite lines are,and why. Had a 10/11 mastery spey on mine but always felt that it didn't put in enough load to do the rod justice. Put on a 9/10 Grand Spey and it definitely put a full load in the rod but it just feels too dam heavy (not for the rod but just an awfull heavy feel in general).
Thanks, Ramsay

·
Registered
179 Posts
I only cast the Scandinavian way (underhand casting). On my Sage 10160-3, I use only short heads varies length from 9 to 15 meters, the weight on the lines approx 35grams. Shorter heads heavier lines (AFTM 12) Longer heads (AFTM 9). All-round length approx 13meters (AFTM 11). Line heads is balanced with floating running line 0,031” for float and sink tip, running line 0,035” for heavy sinkers. Leaders for floaters, approx 15 ft ++ dependent the fly size or weight. It is essential that the leader is perfect balanced to the line, running line and the fly. :)

Oscar

·
Registered
150 Posts
Try the carron jetstream.

I found this to handle most conditions, plus it also loadede the rod well.

The only fault I found, was it wasn't great at turning weighted tube flies over! Just depends on what you want it for. :smile:

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Try both Carron sizes, 10/11 and 11/12. I liked the 10/11 myself, loaded on a nice heavy reel to bring balance to the cork and not above the Sage info on the blank. I had a Bauer M7 with lead wrapped around a spare spool to help balance it out.

The W/C 9/10/11 or 10/11/12 was a nice line that cast very well with this rod too. I liked the 9/10/11 better though.

Another line that is very similar to the Carron is the Snowbee 3d line that I did not have the chance to test on this particular rod, however, worked wonderfully on other 15' to 16' rods. A slightly different taper and the price is more friendly on the wallet, always a good thing. Good luck finding the line that works with your Sage.

Vinnie

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fishingd0 said:
Try the carron jetstream.

I found this to handle most conditions, plus it also loadede the rod well.

The only fault I found, was it wasn't great at turning weighted tube flies over! Just depends on what you want it for. :smile:
Thanks Gordon. Which wgt. line and what is the head length on the Jetstream. I was going to ask if you knew the grain wgt. of the head but after watching you cast :Eyecrazy: I will take your word as to what loads the rod. Not too worried about heavy tubes as long as it handles a full dressed 2/0 :wink:

Vinnie; Thanks for the info.. I built the rod with an extra 2in. of cork in the foregrip and am fishing a 41/4 perfect on it so it balances just fine. If you could tell me who handles Carron and/or Snowbee in N.A. (better yet, in Canada. I would much appreciate it).

Oscar; thanks for the interest but to tell the truth I am looking for a fairly long bellied line

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Muckle,

I am not sure who carries the Carron in Canada, however, contact Aaron Reimer at River Run Anglers as I understand he may have a few left or coming in. He has the snowbee line in hand now, I know for sure.

Vinnie

·
Registered
150 Posts
Carron Line lengths & Weights

There are two head lengths. The 85ft & the 75ft, both of which have a full lenth of 150ft. They are excellent lines. However my preference is the 85ft head 10/11# (using a 15ft B&W powerlite speycaster 11#). It is one of the most effortless lines I have used.

You should be fine using a 2/0 fly with the line.
I thing the reason i was having problems casting brass tubes, was due to the longish, thinn front taper. :confused:

If I was to choose a line that would handle all fly/tip types, I would go for the rio accelerator 10/11#. Dont think it is in production any more. However, if you contact Rio, I am sure they will have some in the factory. I have used this line for the last 3-4yrs and can't see past it! :devil:

Would also be worth looking into the Partridge range (developed by Ian Gordon). I tested one out the other week, in hurricane conditions. Felt like a relly nice line. However, with such weather, it was almost impossible to get a good grasp of the lines potential. :mad:
Not too sure if they are on sale just yet? You heard anything Malcolm?

Gordon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts