Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Been a while since I posted. Busy with life and such. Here is a fun fly that my daughter and I tied together. She picks out the materials and I do the tying. She has tied a bit herself as well but she finds the flash hard to work with and really for her (she is 5) its all about the flash. In fact I had to suggest we add the arctic fox to this one as a prop otherwise it would have just been a body and flash. A little gaudy but I imagine it will catch fish anyway. She is excited to try it out.

Materials

Body: light blue holo tinsel with gold and silver ribs and a turquoise barred rooster hackle.

Prop: composite loop of pink and orange arctic fox with purple ice angle hair, pearl gold angel hair

Flash: a few strands each of shrimp pink, red, purple, chartreuse crystal flash. a few strands of glo orange. a few strands of pearl, holo blue, pink, holo copper, black fashabou.

I really tried to keep it to a few strands of each but she wanted a substantial amount of blue and back on the top so it looked like a fishes back.

Anyway fun way to fly tie if you want a challenge as to how much flash you can fit on a shank. Shanks are a good way to tie with little ones by the way because you can leave the hook off until after you are done then no one gets poked.

·
Registered
481 Posts
That's awesome, Josh. Glad to see the little ones taking an interest in tying. My daughters would love this pattern! Hopefully it finds a fish for her some day.

Aaron

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
That is one awesome flee there and the colors she picked out are spot on steelhead catchers.

Enjoy the moments while you can, these are the times that you look back on when she turns 16 and up.

Love my daughter!

KC

·
Registered
895 Posts
Beautiful tie, thanks to the wonderful materials your daughter picked out!

Great that she shares the passion!

Thanks for a special post,

-Bill

·
******* swinger
623 Posts
Awesome! Had my 4yo on my lap on the weekend. Same with the shanks. He knows that he can only touch the waddingtons. Although, when your actually trying to tie, a kid in there is more stressful than setting BM wings! :Eyecrazy:

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
try having two fighting over the spare vise...

and say goodbye to your scissors.

"but I needed them for something."

that usually involves cutting staples, plastic, pencils, etc.

and it's funny that they only ever want to tie at the exact same time, hey.
scamps.

·
******* swinger
623 Posts
You are spot on. My spare scissors got borrowed after. It is amazing how many triangles one can make when practicing on newspapers

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,165 Posts
Good for you PGB! It won't be long and she'll be tying flies instead of doing her homework!!

Did you name the fly after her? She'd probably put it under her pillow!

Keep up the teamwork!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your right about the scissors. First time we tied together I wanted her to cut off some excess and she promptly attempted to include the shank in her cutting. Now we use a pair of her craft scissors when tying.

I did name the fly after her. I call it the Fiona Flash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts