Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Meiser, Sage, Beulah, Hardy, Lamson
204 Posts
Good Q! I swung everything which exists across Chinooks in my local G.L. trib, not on the redds. Nothing. Eggs and stoneflies work here. But pacific must be better!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Most of the people i know just fish bigger versions of steelhead flies. large intruders (4.5-5 inch),dirty hohs, led zep prawn, string leeches etc with lots More chartruese, crazy hot pink or back n red for up river fish. Flies like kings candy,trailer trash, work well.
Smaller flies work well too.. Bosses and comets are classics for stripping and will still get takes on the swing

Good Q! I swung everything which exists across Chinooks in my local G.L. trib, not on the redds. Nothing. Eggs and stoneflies work here. But pacific must be better!
PNW fish enter the rivers much earlier in the spawning process. They usually have much further to travel and don't stage as long. You'll find silver fish that hammer swung flies way up river.
Where as great lakes fish often enter the rivers dark. Ive caught many, many coloured up kings at rivers mouths in august... They usually have a short distance to their original spawning grounds, so there's no rush. They just don't take evenly swung flies at the same rate
The odd one will take. Stipping works better as it plays more on aggression . Just walk to a of pod fish cast and strip, if no takers move on fast. Over the course of 100's of fish one will take and lots of chasers .... Otherwise You got find a river where swing water is close to lake and target fresh ones. You can also try a dead drift swing which works. Im not that into it though
last 5 years i've only gone out a few days in salmon season just to chase coho. They respond so much better to all types of fishing. Try popping dries next time you find some

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Yup, save a couple special rivers (which will go un-named) stripping for GL chinook is the way. And you have to get them early when they first enter.......late august - early September. After that it’s just guys flossing them mainly

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
What flies are you swinging for Pacific fall run Chinook?
Any help is appreciated.
Speynube
In regards to specific flies, for fresh chinook I much prefer baitfish patterns or flies that give that teardrop silhouette. Chinook’s diets are 100% baitfish, sure they will hit intruders and other things, but you’ll find more success and extremely hard takes with a baitfish style fly. I basically use 3 flies now:
1. Kings Candy (either on a weighted tube or Clouser style)
2. 360 Snowrunner
3. Temple dog for cleared lower water

Use whatever color you want (as long as it’s chartruese) and put in a gaudy amount of silver flash

Beak Feather Natural material Tail Fish

Azure Natural material Feather Aqua Animal product

Plant Terrestrial plant Natural material Grass Feather

Insect Arthropod Feather Natural material Finger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chartreuse & blue HoBo Spey. Hooked 2 fall kings using this fly on Olympic Peninsula trip in late September 2019 & landed this one. Was looking for coho...
Swung up a spring run king on popsicle Foxee Dog in April 2016. Was looking for steelhead...
Kings on the swung fly seem to be an infrequent by-catch for me...a by-catch I love to have, however.
I see that 3 of 4 patterns in Looper-Fly's post are chartreuse & blue.

Water Gesture Fish Ray-finned fish Soil

Water Gesture Fish Ray-finned fish Soil

·
Registered
31 Posts
Depending on the clarity and flows, I would not skip having some smaller patterns in your box as well. I have had just as much success on smaller buggers, sparse hobo's and leaches in low clear conditions then I have with your typical upsized PNW Nook intruders.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Once upon a time, I fished the Chilliwack River for white springs with dark brown nymphs and Hares Ear nymphs tied on #6 and #8 1197B hooks made by Eagle Claw. With decent success for bright springs. The pressure and ill manners got to the point that I no longer frequent that flow.

Schwiebert introduced me to these hooks in the Chilean Lakes region as an ideal hook for freshwater crab Pancora patterns presented to resident browns and rainbows.

Reactions: sculpin swinger
1 - 12 of 12 Posts