Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have anything to say about the profisher jungle cock substitute? I'd like to use the real thing, there is one shop nearby but they want over $300 for a cape.(not happening) Same grade elsewhere is $175 online without seeing it I'm pretty leary. Maybe the replica is ok? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Anyone have anything to say about the profisher jungle cock substitute? I'd like to use the real thing, there is one shop nearby but they want over $300 for a cape.(not happening) Same grade elsewhere is $175 online without seeing it I'm pretty leary. Maybe the replica is ok? Thoughts?
Honestly Jiggs, I like the $100 capes with split nails. Makes no difference for fishing and it still looks great! Also, lots of usable nails and swords on the capes as well. I bought a $100 cape 6 months ago and I’m still plucking from it 🤣

Reactions: Hardyreels

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Definitely do NOT waste your money on the fake JC stuff! Way overpriced, and looks really crappy (imho). I tried using some years ago, never even had the confidence or inclination to cast one of them, ever! Even the absolute worst, moth ridden and picked over cape would at least yield some nice looking flies. I’ve purchased two capes since then, both of them were a “mid grade” cape and cost me $75 and $80 respectively. I’ve tied a ton of flies with those capes, and still have most of the second one left. In other words; they are worth it in the long run.
Keep your eyes peeled in the classifieds, you’ll find a good deal at some point, in the meantime there are plenty of other ways to attract a steelheads attention to your flies.
JB

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
I actually have all this...………..

But I use the Pro Sportfisher Gen 2 in sizes medium and large on my salmon tubes. Other than the fact that they aren't real feathers the flies look the same in the water and the eyes remain soft and are durable.

I'll go make a picture of a fly and post it.....

One tube has natural eyes.

I use those flies for silver salmon because they can be hard on flies even when on tubes. I wanted to try the artificial eyes so to give them a fair shake and they catch like normal flies do.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Wow Ard you are sitting on a gold mine...if you ever need to offload some of your JC capes lemme know!

On the flies you posted it’s hard to tell which one has the fake JC eyes...I think it’s the one in middle....they must have improved the stuff since the last time I checked cause they look pretty good...

This thread begs me to ask - do the fish ever care about JC eyes? Don’t steelhead take the flies from behind? I know that a good pair of JC eyes makes me feel better about the fly!

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
I slowly pluck through them Serge and have been shopping out a new one lately just to stay deep on the bench as they say :)

You picked the real one, and on the do the fish care, I think not. It's me who fell into the traditional pit by the late seventies. Every streamer and salmon steelhead fly had to have them and I stayed that way all these years. On my home forum I've come under fire (heated at times) for being a purist, an elitist, and over the past six to 8 years I've loosened up a bit. Still fish long belly line and eschew long sink tips but hey, I fish tubes so I can't be too dyed in the wool right :)

I use all naturals on my trout and steelhead trout flies so just salmon flies here for the artificial stuff but not on my King flies!

So the OP is getten some feedback......

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,133 Posts
This thread begs me to ask - do the fish ever care about JC eyes? Don’t steelhead take the flies from behind? I know that a good pair of JC eyes makes me feel better about the fly!
I think we all know the answer to this. :grin2:

If you're tying presentation flies, then the real deal definitely counts.

If it's a fishing fly, buy the imitation, and get busy swingin'. :wink2:

Use the money you save on a good bottle of whisky!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Dang Ard, those look good!! Maybe I’ll have to try some

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
I knew someone would work that whiskey equation :) Hi Bob, it's cold here now, I'm done fishing so I'm faking it.

And Yooper, I think the medium Gen 2 eyes have the most all round applications. Large ar …. well, large. I use a little of each. I like to keep it real but had to try them, 2020 will be my second season throwing fakes.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
I'm tellen Ya, blue and hot pink marabou, put a drop weight on a micro tube and top it off with the yellow sonic cone and they catch silvers like magic here. It's just an adaptation of what I was doing on hooks ten years bck put on a tube.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I'm tellen Ya, blue and hot pink marabou, put a drop weight on a micro tube and top it off with the yellow sonic cone and they catch silvers like magic here. It's just an adaptation of what I was doing on hooks ten years bck put on a tube.
Must be the sonic boom! Actually, that would be a good name for a fly Ard!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Synthetic eyes for synthetic flies has always been my go to. Intruders, Leeches, A.I., etc will get them if I've got 'em. As for finding a real JC cape, you've just got to keep searching. There are plenty of serviceable capes for fishing flies under $100 USD, just use a bit of head cement or UV resin to repair the splits, or fish it as is, the fish won't care. Ebay is a fine source, although the quality vs. price tends to be skewed towards the wrong direction (ie-some really beat up and pale capes going for $100+). You may have better luck with the smaller shops/sellers from the UK. Their supply of JC is sporadic, but you're going to get better bang for your buck if you're patient.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
If you have to have the real thing...and I like to use the real thing...go to ebay now, and you will find 2 very respectable capes for $79.00 apiece. I wouldn't use them for exhibition flies, but they are excellent for fishing flies. The seller is also a straight shooter/good guy.

Just go to the bay...type in fly fishing materials jungle cock in the search box...and you will easily find them.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
would you drive a plastic maserati?
wear a fake rolex? how do you feel about a bird's bolt-ons?

there's your answer.
do better.

my pleasure, mate
shawn

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well being that I quit drinking I think I will use that as the excuse to order up a cape.

Later

·
Registered
602 Posts
I don't get it....

the "good" fake ones look to be about 0.50 per nail - 28 for $12

real on ebay
- buy-it-now capes for $80 with a few hundred nails
- picked over cape with about 100 nails for $30

so the real ones are actually cheaper

1 - 20 of 33 Posts