Spey Pages banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
up for sale is a bench made Olsen 3 3/4 Gear & Pawl reel. Olsen reel are know as one of the finest hand made reel in the world. these are beautifully made. if you wanted to buy one there is a three year plus wait and $1400. here is a chance to own one now. 1000 includes shipping, buyer pays paypal fees. PM if your interested

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi Underhandcast. I'm the guy buying your reel. We communicated this morning, and agreed on the deal. But since then. Nothing. Are you not getting my PMs?

·
Registered
408 Posts
So I contacted him first. We agreed on the deal. Electronic hand shake basically. then I asked him for his payment info. So i could pay him ASAP. Then nothing. The seller just went silent. So I wrote him a couple more time during the day. This time, with receipt confirmation. I saw he read my PM that night at around 8:30pm. But didn't answer. So I wrote him again. Asking him if he decided to sell it to someone else or something. The next morning at 6am I get a message from him saying "not at all. I was away from my computer and could not respond". That was it. No payment info or anything. So I wrote him back asking again for payment info. Nothing. Until noon. A very short massage telling me he changed his mind and someone else want it. Not the way to conduct business. Oh well. I almost got an olson.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Green-
Sorry to hear about that...sounds like you did everything right and a deal was in place. It’s unfortunate that the seller did not fufill his commitment after your agreement. That’s definitely NOT the way buying and selling should be conducted on this forum. Good luck in tracking down another Olson...find one with some better karma.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Perhaps a simple agreement that we have to sign to participate in the classifieds? Or a minimum # of posts as proof of "community" participation?

Seems like we hear more of this behavior as of late...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sounds like someone paid more than asking after he committed to you, which is BS by the way. I thought awhile back I was first in line for a Farlex only to find out I was beaten by a prior PM. I think it should be a forum rule that the first "I'll take it" reply gets the buy not a PM. If the seller does not sell to them they should be banned from posting for sale again.

Emel

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sounds like someone paid more than asking after he committed to you, which is BS by the way. I thought awhile back I was first in line for a Farlex only to find out I was beaten by a prior PM. I think it should be a forum rule that the first "I'll take it" reply gets the buy not a PM. If the seller does not sell to them they should be banned from posting for sale again.

Emel
The same scenario happened to me as well with a Farlex (same one perhaps?). I replied with a firm "I'll take it" after seeing the pictures, only to find out the next day he had sold it via PM. Very disappointed.

·
skagitard with skagitude
300 Posts

Emel
Why? That is a terrible idea. A seller has every right to sell to whoever they choose. Posting first is meaningless, all that matters is who the seller decides to sell it to.

If someone who is a jerk on this forum messages me asking to buy my item there is no chance in hell I'm selling it to that individual. I'd much rather sell it to someone who seems to have a good head on their shoulders and I am confident the deal will go smoothly.

·
Administrator
2,452 Posts
Greenbut...sorry you missed out on that Olson. They're a gem of a reel and I've got a pair on the list for going on 3 years now. Fortunately, we only run in to this situation a couple times a year and it's generally related to a hot item...such as an Olson. The policy is pretty clear folks. If you list the specifics of your item / transaction and a buyer agrees to those specifics...it should be a done deal unless a seller has a compelling reason not to follow through with the transaction and communicates it. We all need to operate with the utmost integrity here in the Classifieds. This sub forum generates significant traffic for the forum and we all spend a good amount of time looking over the listings.

Before this thread goes sideways, I'll reference the Classifieds Policy sticky for all to review.

The full policy...

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/92-spey-classifieds/257033-classified-forum-policy.html

Classifieds Forum Norms

1. Be clear and honest about what you are offering.
2. State an asking price for the goods. The Classifieds Forum is not an auction site. If you want to find a high bidder, you are better off using E-Bay or other similar auction sites.
3. Identify what payment options you are willing to accept and any conditions you have on them.
(e.g. – Accepts personal checks but will not ship until check clears or will accept PayPal but require buyer to cover fees)
4. Identify how shipping costs will be handled and who is responsible for them.
5. If duties are potentially an issue, this should be made clear as well.
6. If you are going to be away fishing for two weeks, make sure that is known as well.
7. The final issue to be identified is how you are going to choose what offer to accept. In most cases, etiquette says the first to respond with an offer equal to the asking price– via e-mail, post, phone or private message – is the “winner”. If there is a compelling reason not to accept the first offer, you are asked to disclose this upfront.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks everyone. I've got some nice offers from generous Speypagers so it's all good. I agree paaka937. this reel won't have good juju.

To Be absolutely transparent, I sent him a PM stating that i would prefer to pay $900. But I would gladly pay his full asking price for the reel if it is what it will take. He responded that he would sell it to me for $950. I responded " Deal! Give me your payment info"

I understand what Skagitard is saying. In the real world, we can decide who we do business with. The same way sometimes I go see something for sale and I choose not to go ahead with the purchase because I don't trust the seller.

But here on Speypages. We are a community. We need some rules. Otherwise it creates threads like this one. Now because of this thread, a few of us will never buy anything from underhandcast. I guess That's the price to pay to not play by the rules.

·
Administrator
18,138 Posts
But here on Speypages. We are a community. We need some rules. Otherwise it creates threads like this one. Now because of this thread, a few of us will never buy anything from underhandcast. I guess That's the price to pay to not play by the rules.
Very well said :)
This thread is done ...

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.