Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to sell a Meiser 15'9" 4/5/6 Highlander Classic. Rod is in great condition though it has a few scratches on the male ferrules. Nothing that I would call major or enough to weaken the rod structurally. Comes with two lines that fly out past the backing knot: CND GPS 5/6 and Ballistic Vector 5/6. Happy to send pics to cell or email. Only selling to find another project.

$640.00 shipped to lower 48 only please.

Thanks for looking,

Skeeter

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Member dunwrkn has been looking for this rod for over a year so you might contact him. Every time I see his WTB ad I think, “Oh yeah, that is not gonna happen” there being so few out there, and the ones that are are held on too..usually. That is not a rod you can easily replace. Cool to be proven wrong. I think Bob even offered to make him one, but that was too expensive ... he seems to be looking for the double unicorn of that rod + cheap. Good luck.

·
Administrator
2,452 Posts
I sent him an email and a PM. I’m with Botsari...always figured he was looking for a unicorn. He was after a 5pc if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I sure hope Dunwrkn gets it, was starting to feel sorry for him.........good on you Brian

Reactions: Botsari

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I'll give him a couple more hrs before I grab it, this is killing me!

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
If you don’t I might

We could split it! :chuckle:

6 months of the year each, trading every other 3 months :hihi:

The new Meiser time share program!

Reactions: Rifflehitch

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
To all that been holding back on this rod, so I
had first shot, that is very considerate, and I really
appreciate it. But I talked to Skeeter about rod this yesterday,
before he listed it.He knows I am not going buy it.
So have at it.
Thanks Again
Very considerate of you as well - posting that update for people.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
James,
I will send it to you to try and fish it once I've had some fun! Now what winch to put on it, humm, to manny choices haha!

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
James,
I will send it to you to try and fish it once I've had some fun! Now what winch to put on it, humm, to manny choices haha!
I think you should come down or I’ll come up and we can fish together!

Reactions: Rifflehitch

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
This is probably my favorite rod that I have from Bob Meiser. My gosh it throws a ton of line and with big flies.

Whoever got it is going to have a ball.

What lines have you fished with it and how big of flies where you tossing?

·
Registered
389 Posts
To all that been holding back on this rod, so I
had first shot, that is very considerate, and I really
appreciate it. But I talked to Skeeter about rod this yesterday,
before he listed it.He knows I am not going buy it.
So have at it.
Thanks Again
Skip! What Happened??? This is "the" rod you've wanted.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Hi Kuzi

Your right I thought it was, ,but after talking to Skeeter, he was going to sell me the
rod and he added the the CND 5/6 line, when I saw the 5/6 line, it got me thinking, if it's truly more of a 5/6 rod, it's probably a little to heavy for my needs. All along I thought it was the perfect 4/5 rod, I really need to stay in that 300-350 range.
So I passed on this rod, and have pursued some other long 300-350 gn rods.
Still would like to have this rod, but maybe another time.

Thanks for all your time and patience.
Take Care
Skip
Yeah, it seems that all those rods more or less match up with “typical” spey ratings on the last number or close to it, not that you couldn’t go lighter. Either Bob or Steve told me the extra numbers in the designation were originally added to keep track of the styles - 3 numbers for the highlanders, 2 for the MSK, 1 for the S rods. So maybe there is more to it than just wt ratings. Still, you should have tried it out yourself unless you are sure your tastes are the same. I think the taste part is even more wide ranging for long rods. Maybe you can borrow it for a few weeks from rifflehitch. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have this rod too and love it. By far my favorite of the rods I have. There is a new version that is 15 6 5 weight in the new x material, so a little lighter. Does anyone have this? Any comments or reviews from anyone that has the new rod would be greatly appreciated. Comments from someone that has both the old and new and could compare would be even better.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
I’m slowly moving up to these rods - I see the 13’9 or 14’2 in my near future and likely after that the 5w 15’6

While I was out yesterday on the water I realized when the river is up on years we have lots of run off or rain, I can swing tall! And who doesn’t like to swing tall right fellas! :hihi:

So much for my frugality . . .

·
Steelherder
155 Posts
Mine is the new material. Simply amazing but I do not have comparative experience with the older model.

I have had other 4s and 5s but nothing this long or responsive. I fish long CND rods for Steelhead and this trouter is as close to the action of my others that I have come. Its like a 5 wt Solstice. Lots of power but tons of finess and soul if you will. The biggest test was how it handled my native redbands that average 15-17 with an occasional 20-25 fish. All I can say is that I am happy to fight and hook these fish on this rod all day long. Not too much stick for the 15s and enough for the bigger fish. Fights the wind much better than smaller rods and will throw bigger flies if you need to. I have a home river that is over 100 yards wide in most places so I need the ability and power to reach out.
My last rod was a 5126 Sage One and this rod is so much for fluid and forgiving. Way more joy

The standard Vector in 5/6 has been working for me but I have a 5/6 XL to try this season and a custom Scandi to try as well.

I do view this one a a sort of niche rod. You have to need its attributes or want to replicate your summer steel fishing. After a summer of trout spey work its almost seamless to transition into a 16ft 10 wt and 110's all day long.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts