Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hooked into the biggest steelie to date today here in VT, and quickly found out that my huge diameter dacron backing will NOT be enough for NY, so I'm wondering if anyone has any gel-spun laying around that I can have or pay for. No idea how much I need, but I'm running an Opti Runner with 90' of 6/7 Rio Switch.

·
Registered
638 Posts
spun

Although it's expensive I would recommend Hatch's new backing. It is 65lb and the diameter of 20lb dacron. In addition the material is inert meaning that it will not degrade or rot if left wet.
I will bet Poppy has some.
Loren

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That braid seems just as thick as what I have though. Thanks anyway ! I saw the hatch post too late and ordered some 30 lb SA gel-spun.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I bought same stuff but in 85lb. Tested it and it broke at 30lbs. It's knock-off junk. He refunded me my money and let me keep the spool as he didn't want a negative rating. Maybe you got a spool of the real stuff.

I buy from this guy and used that braid for years now and it's great. I use 50 or 60lb to my spey reels.

The come up to 1000m spools.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PE-Dyneema-Spectra-Extreme-Braided-Fishing-Line-546yards-500m-agepoch-line-/200978919248?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2ecb46ef50

1 - 6 of 6 Posts