Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was looking at a pile of junk GP tails wondering what I was going to do with them. They were the stringy kind that won't marry in married wings. On a whim, I decided to see if I could split one like a jay hackle. To my amazement, it unzipped beautifully. I had a perfect spey hackle with a wonderful, thin stem. So, I dyed it red, and decided to tie something with it. I'm pretty happy with the results (even though the wings are pretty sloppy). I'd say this method has some potential. I've done the same with some Amherst tails and will dye the hackles I made out of them shortly and see what it looks like wrapped.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Is that Golden Pheasant tails?
yes....

Aaron, im really glad you posted this! I bought some crap tails off ebay a while ago (NOTHING like the beautiful pair you sent me last week, thanks btw) and used them to practice with some dyes so now I actually have a use for them! yay! I think I might try a quick burn with one too just to see what it does :confused: and as always, great fly! your skills always amaze me

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I don't think a burn would hurt at all. The bleach may lighten the black a little, but not enough to hurt anything.

Also, for anyone wondering....google "how to split a jay hackle" and I'm sure you'll find the tech. I'm using. Hold the thick end of the tail feather in your vise and start pulling the feather apart at the tip. The more pressure you put on one side or the other determines which side splits. You can get two 20" long hackles off a GP tail.

Aaron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts