Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fortunate enough to pick up a 11'6" 7 weight Bob Clay bamboo over the weekend. I've been scouring websites, lists, etc. for months hoping to find a James Reid or Bob Clay rod and my diligence finally paid off. It's a real beauty and I can't wait to get my hands on it. The only potential cloud - and it's a very tiny one - has to do with the composite ferrules. If I had my druthers it would have been a spliced rod but I'll be darned if I'll look a gift horse in the mouth. (Though it weren't no gift and I paid dear in the purse for it. :whoa:)

Does anyone have experience with these ferrules? I've heard you need to treat them gingerly and break the rod down frequently so they don't get stuck. I tend to fish for a week or two at a time and often leave my rod strung up in the boat. Bad idea with these ferrules? Any tips or other thoughts? I have several bamboo single-handers but they all have metal ferrules of course and don't generate nearly the torque this rod will.

I plan to hang my Olson 3 3/4" G&P on this beauty and will probably trick it out with a Nextcast 45' FF. I'll be spending a lot of time on the Copper, Babine, Bulkley, Morice and Bell-Irving this Fall and this should add a whole new dimension to my dry fly fishing and geaselining.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
You got a heck of a rod going there.

Even 'used' I can believe you paid up to get your hands on that Puppy.

As to your question: Take it apart after each use; if a section(s) are going to stick it will be a pain where you sit to get them apart. But do check the connections several times per day to confirm everything is properly seated.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have one of Clay's 11' 6 wt with composite ferrules. I haven't had any issues, but be sure and take it apart each day. They do get sticky.

Sg

·
Registered
647 Posts
One of the great advantages of spliced is that you don't have to take it down over a week's fishing.

One of the disadvantages of spliced is that if you have to take it down frequently, perhaps for transport, it's a bit of pain.

So six of one, half dozen of another.

Mine have been spliced, so really can't help on the actual question asked. But its a lovely rod.

·
Registered
997 Posts
sisyphusmpn.

Does your rod from Bob have the male part of the ferrule wrapped in Graphite or is it plain bamboo there?

James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts