Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of late I want to move from BM spey wings and goose and give married wings and different materials a try. I have been looking within Canada for Argus secondary or primary feathers, golden pheasant center tails, bustard, good quality big goose shoulder pairs, grey peacock pheasant pairs, etc etc...my list goes on.

I know of a few suppliers with GP center tails, but they sell hareline sub par goose and nothing else on my list...wondering if anyone has any inside information on acquiring these rare and exotic materials from within Canada for the purpose of tying? I have contacted three companies out of the states and it appears none of them will ship to Canada...figure there has to be some shops or companies that I am missing as I do see argus and other feathers from time to time in Canadian hands.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
keep searching this isnt easy for any of us that tie these, ebay and fleebay are good source keep looking on there. the companies that dont ship to canada usually its pheasant they cant ship but goose is not a problem. or your local zoo at night:p

·
Registered
231 Posts
Exape anglers. I personally have never
dealt was Bryant,but I've heard good things.
Salmon Fle materials.google it and I give
him acall. And see what he can do for you..

Ps.
Good work on the dressing brothers.
Keep at it ...
Kyle

·
Registered
997 Posts
get in touch with Aaron at AO feathers, link above.
give him your list and see what he can and can't send you. He has great quality materials, is great to deal with and most stuff can be sent to Canukia...
J

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
I did not see Turkey on your list. Pretty sure there is no problem shipping Turkey feathers. If you are tying anything 3/0 or large its hard finding goose long enough. AO has a great selection of Turkey.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Exape anglers. I personally have never
dealt was Bryant,but I've heard good things.
Salmon Fle materials.google it and I give
him acall. And see what he can do for you..

Ps.
Good work on the dressing brothers.
Keep at it ...
Kyle
Here's Bryant's email. I've ordered lots from him(Escape Anglers in Moncton. N.B.). He usually has materials for the Classics.

Bryant Freeman: [email protected]

·
Registered
2,710 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Check ken sawada too, one of our members in Canada regularly uses just about everything on your list and I know he orders from sawada a lot. It's not the cheapest source but he has just about everything I don't think shipping is an issue

·
Registered
506 Posts
Pet stores, bird breeders and zoos are your friends. Parrot and macaw are easy ones to find in your area, and people dont normally realize how expensive they are. Non-pet feathers that cant be shipped to canada for certain people is tough. I am fortunate enough to live on a border town so that is not a problem for me :p. dyed turkey tail is also very difficult to find.

Stick with peacock, GP tail, GP crests and GP tippets goose, turkey tail, and lady amherst maybe. With these you can tie many different wings for cheap. Tie on 1/0 (NOT partridge traditional barleets or alec jackson, find some gaelic supreme or something similar. 1/0 GS is actual 1/0, unlike modern spey hooks which are huge).

There is lots of good subs if you do your research. See what you can find on ao feathers and the rest ebay. Pm me if you have more questions! Have fun!

Andrew

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pet stores, bird breeders and zoos are your friends. Parrot and macaw are easy ones to find in your area, and people dont normally realize how expensive they are. Non-pet feathers that cant be shipped to canada for certain people is tough. I am fortunate enough to live on a border town so that is not a problem for me :p. dyed turkey tail is also very difficult to find.

Stick with peacock, GP tail, GP crests and GP tippets goose, turkey tail, and lady amherst maybe. With these you can tie many different wings for cheap. Tie on 1/0 (NOT partridge traditional barleets or alec jackson, find some gaelic supreme or something similar. 1/0 GS is actual 1/0, unlike modern spey hooks which are huge).

There is lots of good subs if you do your research. See what you can find on ao feathers and the rest ebay. Pm me if you have more questions! Have fun!

Andrew
Andrew is right. Pet stores can be a great resource for feathers. There is an exotic bird shop in my home town that I have gotten parrot, macaw, and cockatoo feathers from for about the past year. After that period though I made sure to tie them a big thank you fly for all of their collecting though. Zoos may make you pay for the feathers but a lot of the time it is a lot cheaper than getting stuff retail. The quality my not be there most of the time but if you are willing to spend some time washing and steaming feathers, you can get some really nice stuff for a fraction of the price. Good luck!

Zach

·
Registered
557 Posts
for what it's worth M&Y over in Surrey have some of the things you are looking for and are worth a phone call. 604 588 2833

good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts