Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 74 since switching from SH to DH I noticed there is a lot more body rotation needed to cast, different back muscles used and I am a little sore and stiff in that lower back the next day. Are there any exercises specifically for DH rotation that I might want to work on. I could ask my therapist but he's not a spey caster. So I am going directly to the source.
. Any suggestion. Thanks in advance slack

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
At 74 since switching from SH to DH I noticed there is a lot more body rotation needed to cast, different back muscles used and I am a little sore and stiff in that lower back the next day. Are there any exercises specifically for DH rotation that I might want to work on. I could ask my therapist but he's not a spey caster. So I am going directly to the source.
This one is a killer to do but a great core exercise.

Strengthening your core is a great idea know matter what, but If your back is hurting you may be muscling your cast. I find I have the same problem when I muscle a cast instead of keeping it nice and smooth and easy. Good luck.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,165 Posts
Funny, I've never thought of casting (any kind) as needing much strength. If done correctly, casting requires suppleness and finesse, with which flexibility would come into play.

Every morning (not just when I'm going fishing), I fix a cuppa, relax on the floor, and do some basic stretches and exercises.

Neck rotations after my cycling accident are a must, but then lying on my back, heels tucked up to my butt, and slowly letting both knees fall from side to side. This loosens up my back, and prepares me for anything involving my back. Slow toe touches, etc are also a must.

Another very important notion to keep in mind - your abs have as much to do with your back health as your back muscles do. Get busy with sit ups, crunches, lateral motion exercises, etc.

Just like the DH casting.....slowly......slowly.

Reactions: JDJones

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
In this video link Sergey Kluev show few excercises which are easy to do. I have tied a loop to a broom handle where I put excersice rubbers. That rotation excersice can also be done keeping handle so that tod arm pulls the "sweep" but pushing using bottom hand is very important.

Difficult language but the idea is easy to understand just watching.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NFTi7amuqiA

·
Registered
62 Posts

Hey Slack, I'm a therapist, a strength coach, and a spey caster so may be able to give a few ideas for you to run by your therapist.

First and foremost - most stiffness/soreness from activity is from too much too fast combined with not enough for too long. Building tolerance to casting by gradually increasing the number of casts performed is going to be key.

If you have a therapist some exercises I would discuss with them would be chops and lifts with a band or cable machine. An anti rotation press (Pallof Press) and some single arm presses and rows will also get you well along the way towards where you are looking to go. (All this being very general advice and something that I suggest you discuss with your therapist to make sure it is right for you. Please don't just go apply these ideas without having that conversation.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Yoga and a good core workout.15 mins a day alternating the two.

I think you'd be surprised even at 74 how fast you can build strength and flexibility back. And since we aren't 15 yr olds at our fist football practice of the season, we can be smart enough to build up gradually and not cripple ourselves.

Sign up for a dozen yoga classes, and get the basics figured out. You may find you want to attend regularly, or maybe just practice on your own. Either way you'd have a good start.

·
Hacker
626 Posts
I have back problems and explained the two-handed cast to my pt person. He had me doing twists like the video above from foreach71 using surgical tubing. It comes in different tensions so I increased tension over time. Just tie a knot in one end and close a door with the knot on the outside. Only difference is that he told me not to move my hips or legs, just twist the torso. This is in addition to my other exercises all for the core and flexibility.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is the best advice so far. The only thing that I would add, would be to suggest that when you speak to your therapist, be ready to show them what "spey" casting looks like. Some YouTube video clips of the casts that you use, possibly combined with you showing how you move (using a yard stick for a "rod"). Even though he doesn't cast a DH rod himself, if he sees what you're doing, he should be able to put together an exercise routine to help you out. Especially if he has experience with sports injuries.

Good luck!

Dave

Hey Slack, I'm a therapist, a strength coach, and a spey caster so may be able to give a few ideas for you to run by your therapist.

First and foremost - most stiffness/soreness from activity is from too much too fast combined with not enough for too long. Building tolerance to casting by gradually increasing the number of casts performed is going to be key.

If you have a therapist some exercises I would discuss with them would be chops and lifts with a band or cable machine. An anti rotation press (Pallof Press) and some single arm presses and rows will also get you well along the way towards where you are looking to go. (All this being very general advice and something that I suggest you discuss with your therapist to make sure it is right for you. Please don't just go apply these ideas without having that conversation.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
>:)
p.s. Sergey Kluev excercise is funny.
Yes look funny but they are very good! On his forward cast excercice the use of bottom hand is exaggerated but if the bottom hand has got less use then it strengthens mostly it. I don't understand what he says there but he is a Tournament caster. Perhaps exaggerating helps building new "muscle memory" which then could weaken current "muscle memory" and then positive effect comes to casting faster. Of course more balanced use of both arms can be used and only top hand if needed. I have tried to do the same stroke I use when casting but I have began exaggerating after I found that video.

I did use many years the body rotation excercise but not like Sergey there but keeping the broom handle other way which then became a pulling excercise using top hand but although it did strengthen my torso muscles I believe it was not 100% good for actual casting because there came "lean back element" to keep balance against the pull. It exists briefly when casting too but it disappears immediately the stop is done. I think some, perhaps 1/5 of the body twist excercise should be done other way too but doing like Sergey seems to help the back cast sweep much more.

Cable machine is good because it allows more constant tension all the time but using rubbers I don't have to go to the gym.

Bryan Styskal briefly explains the use of bottom hand during the sweep here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FnqhoK5o2MY

·
Registered
65 Posts
Core exercises are good no matter what your doing. I've seen expert Spey Casters use very little effort in their cast. Part of the issue can be technique and practice. This can alleviate the strain that Spey Casting Instructors talk about. Some of these folks practice daily. Its like perfecting a golf swing, bad golf swing = soreness after 18 holes. I golfed with a Pro years ago, he made it so effortless yet drove the ball 300 yards. Same with Spey Casting. It's an art form.

Have someone take a video of your cast and have an expert critique it. Proper form with practice will do wonders.

Another thought, hire a guide thats a Spey Instructor. Catch fish and perfect your cast all in one.

·
JD
3,637 Posts
Henrik Mortensen Scandinavian Spey Casting #1 dvd shows incorporating body movement into the single spey cast.

·
pearl jammin'
382 Posts
Russian twists would closely resemble the external rotation in a spey cast. Overall core work with Kettlebell swings, Overhead Squats, and GHD's are great but probably a bit much unless you have experience with them already.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts