Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I intend to purchase an 11-fourteen HD to carry 10 wt spey lines for Atlantic Salmon.I tend to let the fish take line off the reel when it takes.I set the reel to a light setting so that the current does not pull off line but the fish can.
Can the HD drag be set light enough to do this?

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Hi Stephen!

Yes, it certainly can. The factory settings on the HD reels seem to me to be set for saltwater use (after all that is what they are primarily designed for) but the drag is easily adjustable (instructions are included with the reel). I reset my 11fourteen for the same reason you mentioned (except I use it for steelhead) and the drag at the initial setting is now very light indeed, but I can crank it up if I need to really lean into a fish if I am in danger of losing it down a fastwater chute.

Enjoy your reel!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
eleven 14 drag

Stephen,
The eleven 14 is a lovely reel.. It is the only reel I own that has a positive stop at the minimum drag position. The minimum can be set at your choice of drag and does not need tugging on the line to check drag--just rotate the drag knob to the counterclockwise stop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts