Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, a very good friend of mine is finally home from iraq. unfortunately he lost both of his legs while he was there. so my wife and myself are moving at the end of april to live with him and help take care of him. he was and is an avid fisherman, and excellent fly tyer, and wants to continue to chase fish as best he can. i had told him of my recent exploits beating the water to a froth with a spey rod and he wanted to know if it was possible to use 1 in a wheelchair. i told him i'd find out, so here i am.

he can't twist his body much. can't be in the water. most places i can get him too the water there is no room for a back cast. neither of us have a boat, and don't know anyone with 1 we could use.

he doesn't want to "resort to gear fishing", but will if he's forced too. anyone have some insight to help us out here? :confused:

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
Under hand cast,piece of cake,too many people use negative body motion anyway.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Crobarr if you buddy needs spey tackle please let me know.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
MJC ( Mike ) you never cease to amaze me, you have got to be one of the nicest fellows I have ever had the good fortune to know.

You are a true gentleman and ambassador to our sport.

I tip my hat and offer my handshake to you

Cheers buddy.

See you at the Clearwater Clave

Best Regards
Paul

As for speycasting sitting down...I would have to say a resounding yes it should be able to be done....I tried in my pontoon boat and it worked just fine.....and speaking of pontoon boats I cannot think of a better way for your pal to get around. I am sure that there would be an easy way to rig up a seat belt system to keep him in the seat and an anchor system to stop on the inside edge of a seam to chase steelhead.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Sorry to hear about that and good to hear he still is in good spirits. Sounds like some single hander spey casting could be in order. No need for a lot of body movement there.

-sean

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
anytime you folks can=

get to the Rogue here i guarantee i'll make a way!,,,no matter what it takes including backing my (topless)blazer into the river and parking and he WILL get to fish!,,,and if he's strong enough `up top'i have 18 ft. rods that guarantee he'll be fishing even from the bank!,,in other words,you just get down here and i'll make it happen,,i've shook the hands of some great young men and some i'm even related to that have been there or still are:mad: so,,,,he has my respect and a free ride here on the Rogue anytime(especially if he can ride in a drifter(even better),,anytime from here on,don't matter the date,even years from now=,you just name it;) ,and you can feel free to PM me anytime;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Money Donations for equipment from MJC.

Mike maybe you could set up an account where money could be sent to donate equipment for Crobarrs freind. I also had a loss in my family in Iraq and would be honored to send money to provide equipment to him as a small token thanks for all he did for America and the people of Iraq and Afganistan. God bless him in a speedy recovery. flyfisher151.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
count me in on this

watcha thinkin' poppy?,,maybe a TFO 12 ft'r,,,those rods rock!, maybe a wicked overhead rod like one of those,i cast `nymphfishers' from the drifter last year and,,they rock!!!:hihi: (we'll get him fishin' by next weekend;) )

·
Registered
445 Posts
..................MJC,count me in for a donation,we appreciate your efforts. And Crobarr....my hat is off to you and your wife,your friend is a lucky man to have someone like you and your wife on his side!!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
The tackle costs have already been covered however if anyone wants to send funds I will forward them all to Crobarr's friend. I am sure he will have many things he can use it for. Thank you to all!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm a rather thick skinned, and not so emotional fella for the most part, but the offers, best wishes, and plain old caring you all have shown has brought a tear to my eye. mike (my buddy) will be very touched by this as well (i'll be printing this thread out before i go see him).

mike (mjc) and i have been communicating via pm's, and looks like things are going in a positive direction. thank you again sir.

the move came up when we found out he would be in an assisted care facility for an undetermined amount of time. i'm the only "family" he has left, and you don't let family sit in a place like that when you can do something about it.

hammer, i don't know if we will be down your way any time soon, but your offer is outstanding. perhaps we will pass up the umpqua and it's bass for a trip down to the rogue when he's fully recovered and we have the chance.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
` tear in the eye'

or whatever you said,,,well,i've been choked up since i read your post(i had to go have a drink and calm down because this `overseas commitment' of our young men and women makes makes me mad,real mad),i looked at pics of my nephew and his girlfriend also a `recruit' just last night,i come from a long line of patriots and =my offer stands as written right here,,forget the bass,,,,and i also yell my cheers for your support of your friend guy,huge thumbs up man!!!!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I do not have much opportunity to practice in moving water but we have a concrete casting pond 100' by 200' and i will often kneel or even sit on the edge to cast to get lower to the water. While sitting on the edge I can still cast an xlt on my Scott 1287 quite easily. Using shorter belly lines and the underhand technique as mentioned before should be no problems

·
Registered
886 Posts
Spey casting whilst sitting is really easy, most Spey gillies prefer you to sit in their boats.

Sorry to hear of this terrible event but hopefully a life on the river willl be a big +

·
Registered
599 Posts
skagit and pontoon boats

Crobarr,

I have for years done single hand spey casts (using a skagit like shooting head) out of a pontoon boat when fishing lakes. Works really well up against tight banks where you can't back cast. I'm sure a good pontoon boat could be rigged for the circumstances.

Also, about two miles below Maupin on the Deschutes is a handicap deck built out on the river and located at a great fishing spot. If I recall, the railing is low enough that spey casts could be done sitting down.

As to the pontoon boat, at the time your friend might be willing to try one (would require rowing) I'm sure there are enough folks on this site to figure out a way to rig one correctly for this application and I would be willing to donate some funds towards a start to getting the boat and rigging. I'm sure others would as well. We owe a lot to folks like your friend and I'm sure for quiet lakes a pontoon boat would work just right. Keep us posted as to his progress and when the time is right for some help on the boat.

RPhelps

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i was bad, but good......

small update:

i talked to mike briefly tonight. after i told him about what i posted, and what ensued afterwards, i got yelled at. he informed me that "i was making his aneurism flair up again!" , then he grilled me about everything all excited. he is very touched by what you all have done and said. he told me that i have found and become part of a very unusual and caring community here, and after we get moved and get the internet set up again, he would like to "join up" and "become 1 with the collective" (he's a star trek fan).

as i told mjc, i'm not very eloquent, and especially so when a group of people have managed to floor me with there kindness. i've typed out a "thank you" about a dozen times now, but i can't seem to get the words right. i hope you will all forgive me for my utter lack of proper response. i still don't have the right words, so i will just give a huge THANK YOU.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
well

he's been ridin' with me all day(i'm madder'n heck),,,i've `attempted' to come to terms with the issue over there over the months that we've been there and our commitment to that country and their people,,but,when i wake up and read on MSN about the muslim who drove thru a crowd at a US colege he attended and graduated from and his message of why he did it,i have a hard time with the issue,i DO NOT have a hard time understanding why this person commited himself to making a difference, NOT AT ALL!,and i want to make this comment=this man does not need pity,that's not what this is aboutIMHO,he needs to get back home,,,,and i'm glad he has!,,,now,,as to the fishing,there is a `secret run'it's the `A' run as we locals call it,the steelhead that the rest of the world fishes for ~after~ the 4th of july on the Upper Rogue(i live in the middle and catch them,kiss them and send them on their way thru;) ),well,that's the hottest run all summer long,(believe me),they move fast and bite well!(a huge wave of aggressive fish is not uncommon:Eyecrazy: ),plus the `trout bite' is phenominal! and the weather=grand!,,,best of the year!,,you are more than welcome to plan a visit around that time and belive me,,it'll take two people running up and down the bank to net(or tail) what he catches as 100 fish days are not uncommon:hihi: ,and spring chinook and searun cuthroats abound,all on the move upriver and agressive!!!:eek: ,,so,there's your fishing,,,just be here,,,i'll make it happen;) ,now hush up!,i don't want the whole world to find out!!!shhhhhhhhh:hihi:

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
A new and wonderful life!

Hello - I have worked with many people who are physically challanged and I can assure your friend will have no problem fly fishing. There is no "as best I can", He has lost some mobility but that is it. I know a guy (Mark Wellman) who climbed El Capitan in Yosemite valley with only his upper body to pull him up! Yeah, thats 3200' of vertical to overhanging cliff over 5 days while sleeping on ledges the size of a bath tub. He was paralized in a motorcycle accident. My friend down the street was also paralized and she ski's and has a hell of a good life! I work for Tom Morgan (who owned Winston and a legendary fly rod designer) who is totally paralized from M S but his life is truly inspirational! Your friend WILL flyfish and will do so very well!!! It is unfortunate that he has suffered a loss most of us cannot comprehend but he is far from alone and we are all here to help others. As far as spey casting, why the hell not! I live in Bozeman Montana and I assure you if you get him in touch with me, it will be a very good thing. I can guarantee I have many friends who will work with him so he can be the best angler he can be. If he is into fly tying, I can hook him up with some of the best! Please get in touch with me soon - Lawrence Stuemke

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Sounds like the rod, line, etc., is covered. Could we help with the fly tieing end of things? Forgot to add: casting while sitting is a fairly easy thing to do. Nubouro (sp?) of CND demo'ed this at one of the 'Claves. He could chuck a heck of a lot of line from that position.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
prosthesis

I remember reading about a mountain climber who lost both legs. After rehab and fitting with prosthesis, he started climbing again. He now designs and builds prosthesis for special applications. Takes off his "street legs" puts on his climbing legs, and up he goes. Shouldn't be too hard to find. And if anyone qualifies, these guys do. Let's get him back fishing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts