Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had some interesting experiences on steelhead rivers and was telling a friend yesterday about the following episode:I was in BC last year and it had rained all day and it was wet everywhere water could penetrate; clothes equipment, rod handles etc. Standing in waist deep water I had made a cast and the fly was nearing the end of the swing, and I had turned my head to talk to a colleague who was standing onthe bank 15 feet beside me. I never sawthe fish take the fly, and the rod just exploded from my wet grip and took off down n the river under power from the fleeing fish ...I knew I had one chance to retrieve rod and fish and took two stumbling running step towards the disappearing butt end I could see and dove straight out, face first under water, fully extended my right arm like a fielder taking a bad throw and trying to tag out a dodging runner , and luckily caught the very tip end of the butt knob of the rod in two fingers of my right hand...managed to get my feet under me and on the bottom (but over my wader tops) and to the delight of the convulsed friend on the bank floundered out and landed a ten pound hen.....fished the rest of the day in numb feet and chilled body and still had a great time. I doubt I am the only one reading here who has done this stunt.....

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Bee...

Great story! I don't remember you telling me about this when you were out here last year. Is that the fish you caught on the fly I gave you? Those "jailbaits" can get a guy in a lot of trouble :smokin:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mike, we had a lot of information to download to to each other last year and I guess we never got around to that particular story... No, it was not a "jailbait" fish..I have prepared a few of my own ties of your fly though and intend to give it a round or two this fall...Peter 's story is similar to several I have experienced about grabbing fly rods while under power in a boat...unfortunately earlier last year I had a glx and an abel .5 sail by me and deep six from the boat at full throttle during a thunderstorm ...I took a diver back the next day to try to get it..water was 70 feet deep so I do not think it will be found.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts