Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Poor boy's version of the Evening Star. Didn't have any Lady Amhest feathers or Indian Crow so I choose the wing from a hen neck I have. Substitutes work at times?

Had fun tying this one, a bit of a challenge for the first time. Still need to slow down and not rush thought the process. So used to tying flies for fishing. Any help and comments appreciated.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, you guys are a tough group. Looking for some feed back so I can improve my flies. Do sub materials work for any of you?

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
you need to post this over at ftf for a thorough critique.

they exist solely to give people helpful pointers when it comes to fly tying.
think of it as a salmon fly tying grooming.

cheers.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Looks good to me, body looks great, maybe one jc a little short and the hen farther back to match tail.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mitch,

Forgot about that group, it's been sometime since I posted there. Hope you enjoyed my take on a classic with substitute feathers.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
about using subs... YES, i dont have piles of cash laying around for certain materials so I use subs all the time. You will also find that subs sometimes fish better i.e. using goose in a wing instead of turkey, its much softer therefore more movement.

as far as this fly, you really took on a tough project that i wouldnt do but I will try and help a bit. first i would go for a more traditional hook, your tag could be more smooth, and maybe try finding JC nails that fit a little better I feel like the look like something is off when they have to be stripped down that far... All that said this is an incredibly difficult fly and my hat is off to you for doing what you did with it, I say go get it wet and let the fish decide. thanks for posting

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ja,
Exactly what I was looking for as your comments go. It was a tricky fly and the most difficult I have tried. Again I choose the Bartlett hook because I like the shape. I think I may fish it, just to see if it has any Mojo.

Scruffy

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
ok so. first the silk and tinsel is very rought take more time to build a smooth base. every thread wrap.count from first to last. the jc is not same size on top and bottom. body sections are not even. the cheeks.need to.be.tied.on.top.not. on the sides hiding the body. topping is long. have a go at simpler patterns work on thread controll. trahernes pattern are probably the hardest classics to tie. skill wise and material.wise.

nothing wrong with using sub but make sure to all ways tie.a fly fully. dont leave feathers out cause.you missing it just sub something in. leaving things out dont make you better.

keep at it its a journey take your time enjoy it.

u.can pm me if.u like and i can try n help

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kevin,
Thank you, all good points. I think have to start tying under a magnifying glass. Getting the silk even is has been a challenge. My fingers are kind of rough and pull out fibers. Also, wanting to get it done has been the biggest issue, along with the quality of my materials and preparing the feathers. Not an excuse just need to slow it down.

Scruffy

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
ya slow down not a race. take time to prep feathers and choose right ones for fly. that make a huge difference. i.use cheap latex gloves

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Kevin provided the exact suggestions on what to change and advice on slowing down that I would have; therefore, I'm simply going to tell you that I echo his suggestions and advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts