Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Epic

You might want to email or call Shane Gray of Gray Wolf Fly Rods. He builds and I'm sure sells the blanks. Very knowledgable fellow and I know he's built this Epic rod blank. Could probably answer most of your questions.

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
it will be shortly. It isnt delerved to him yet as far as I know. Im dying to cast it though. Im going to take a very educated guess and say its going to be very similar to my echo 7129 but track better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just finished building one

Haven't had it out on the water yet, but hope to this weekend. Need to test out some different line weights as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am fairly new here, so let me know if all the photos are too much.

Cast my newly completed Epic DH11 on Saturday evening. Sadly, I chose a run that was river-right and I am a much better caster from the other side. Still, it was a good test run. First and foremost, Arwen the fishing dog got a couple hours out on the river:

The only spey line I have right now is a 500 grain skagit (don't know the brand, but it is at least 5 years old) in front of a Rio Gripshooter running line. I have it on a Lamson Guru, which I have decided is a little too light to balance the rod where I like. Will be scouring the classifieds for something to do it justice.

Anyway, the rod, which I have named "Ice" loads up beautifully and really launches the line when you cast it right. I am not an expert by any definition, so that is about once every 5 to 10 casts. The rest of the time it casts just fine. (I should note that I have the same ratio of awesome casts to meh casts on all of my spey rods). I think the shorter length makes it feel stiffer than you expect. Even thought it is glass, you would never guess.

Next up, I want to try out some different line weights. Carl says it can handle everything from 360 grains to 540 grains. Since I prefer a shorter head, I will probably stay on the heavier side. To that end, if there is anyone out there in the Portland area that would like to get together and cast it, just let me know. I would be happy to give anyone a test run and would more than appreciate it if I could cast a few different lines. You bring the reel & line, I'll bring the rod & beer.

Jason

1 - 12 of 12 Posts