Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Scnadinavian style and shootingheads? A little inside info, i know thaht Steve Choate is a little in to shootingheads now! :smokin: ;)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hi Jacob, Picked up a GLX Stinger and am going to teach my self how to cast it underhand style.
Leroy.....................

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I honestly do not like the short scando heads for anything other than short winter work. Too much stripping, which I find maddening in the summer.

That is not to say I am not a proponent of the underhand style. I have changed my stroke over to be bottom hand dominant on my right side , taking some practice to get it going on my left side but it is coming.

It is more the modern speycasting style that the Syrstads and Dana are doing. You do not need short lines to underhand. Works quite well with the long carrons or xlts.

-sean

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've just ordered a RIO Scandanavian shooting head to fish for bass in ponds, lakes and slow moving rivers. I want to strip line. Using a medium or long belly line is frustrating because I can't strip line. The longer belly lines want to be fished at a certain length and stay there. I need to cast out and strip in line.

I'm experimenting with 2 handed rods for fishing situations beyond the standard swing a fly for steelhead and salmon.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I just got my Sage 8124 back from the guy I traded it to just over a year ago. I also ordered an 8/9 Rio Scand head, been tying tubes flys like a mad man. Also an eager student of the underhand casting technique, I nail about 1/3 casts, and enjoy learning. I might dye my hair blonde and get blue contacts next ;).

Not serious on the last part, don't mean any harm by it either :)

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Look on the sponsers page, most of the shops should have them. Q-tips work pretty good though. Or start rinsing out the cartridges of disposable Bic ink pens. I just have that HMH thing that locks in the jaws of my vise, pretty simple and inexpensive, and works fine for me.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Conversion

I have fished long belly lines on long rods for over twenty years. The last couple years I have fished underhand style with short Guidelines heads and I am a believer. Even though I hate to strip line I find that I can fish hour after hour with big flies and deeply sunk lines and heads and the effect on my body is non existant. With a long belly sinking system my arms and back do a lot more work and I feel it.

I am so converted that now I import some of the finer underhand gear from northern Europe.

Interestingly enough I have sold about 400 two handed power tapers in the last 3 months. I guess other folks are crossing the line as well.

Now that summer is here I have my 15-17' Clan rods out with the long belly lines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts