Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late this afternoon the Sun broke through the drizzling overcast sky and I knew immediately that I had to hit the River. With my favorite rod in hand I made tracks. The water was high and running fast with the days rain and runoff. The bank was close with new Cottonwood growth. Soon my mind was lost in the repetitive side arm cast and retrieve from under the trees as I stepped down the river. The trance was broken when several Ducks flew quickly upstream very close. There was something else, the presence of something large and swimming upstream towards me. The figure swam right up to me no more than 3 ft away under about 1.5' of water. I was so close I could have reached out and touched it. The sight of the large body and tail shattered my dream of a huge Steelhead as I recognized what I was seeing. Just as it reached me the creature stuck it's head out of the water. . . With a surprised look in it's eyes it instantly stopped swimming and floated downstream. We watched one another amazed by our encounter as it drifted away.

So glad the Sun called me to go fishing and for a close encounter with a Beaver ;)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
We all know there is more to fishing than catching fish...and something special like this proves it...to me anyway.

I always say all fishing is good fishing...when you catch fish it is great fishing!! <*()()()><

Cheers,
George

·
Registered
244 Posts
Great story, nice build up and suspense! In our area we have sea lions and seals popping up out of nowhere, even 5 miles upstream from the ocean. A resident osprey, occasional bald eagle, as csft aptly said there is so much more to appreciate than just the fish.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,165 Posts
I remember encountering a sea lion about 10 years ago on a local river - 17 miles upstream!!!

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
I have seen them close by on the river several times, and I always have mixed emotions. On the one hand, a cool and beautiful animal, and great to see one while shairing its element. On the other hand, I have heard several stories about their occasional aggression, including having been present when one "attacked" a boat. Apparently they can be both territorial, and protective of their young if nearby. To paraphrase Richard Prior, if a beaver comes at you with some teeth designed to cut down trees, and all you can pull out is a hand with some skin on it...RUN!

I've never in fact had one come at me, but because I am a nerd of a certain age I sometimes think of this when I see one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCI18qAoKq4

·
Registered
244 Posts
The last and only time I was on the Chetco was about 15 years ago, it was an idyllic in some ways scene, about 15 prams lined up just upstream of this huge rock. All the fisherman in the prams were fly fisherman, most senior citizens, and all the fisherman on the rock, gear fisherman. And there were 20-40 pound salmon being caught left and right by almost all. There was a guy in his 40's getting towed around for at least an hour by a huge salmon, he must have traveled a mile or more in his pram, and that must have been one of the ultimate experiences for a fly fisherman, getting towed around for that long by a 50 lb salmon. It was pretty civilized back then, everyone got along pretty well it seemed, but still was a total zoo. Every time a slot opened up, a new pram was there to take its place. One of these days I'll drive back up there and check it out. Maybe Fred could comment on what its like there these days at the Chetco.

·
Boulder garden
367 Posts
Guess I was parked too long this winter. I stopped to re tye mid stream in knee deep water moving Mach 1. at the corner of my eye I looked down and two chinooks were dancing right below me. Resilience
Bitter sweet... Used to be many millions of them in this watershed. Just a hand full now. I was humbled in their presence.

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
Last year (winter before last) I was on the lower Yuba fishing for Trout and there was this enormous salmon hanging out, and bumping my line. It was incredibly melancholy because it was totally alone, and not long for this world, waiting for a party that got cancelled. Guess it took a wrong turn at Albuquerque. Very Bittersweet!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Killer Beaver

My encounter with the Beaver was one of surprise and awe. It seemed to me the Beaver felt the same way. No aggression whatsoever. Botsari's Monty Python killer rabbit did not appear. :chuckle:
Funny how you can sometimes connect with a wild creature when you look close into its eyes.

Ive had the occasion to see seals on the Nimpkish when Salmon are running. Pretty hard to catch a fish when they are around.

I agree that there is so much more to fishing than catching fish. It only gets better with one on my line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a similar experience on a small river in Cape Breton (North River). I was wading when a beaver on the opposite bank slid into the river. I thought, "how cool, a beaver". He made a bee-line across the river right towards me. I thought "Wow, I'm going to get a great look as he swims by". He didn't swim by. I had to back-peddle out of the river and he followed me up the bank. My "beautiful encounter with one of nature's wonders" became a frantic search for a rock to defend myself with :) He eventually wondered off nonchalantly and I continued fishing looking constantly over my shoulder for that buck-toothed bastard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts