Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1) For use with a 6wt Beulah Platinum switch rod. The only Scandi line I have tried on this rod is the Rio #6 Scandi short which I like. Can anyone comment on the differences between these two?

#2) I am also wanting to try a Scandi on my 7126-4 Method. Any suggestions here on brand and grain wt?

#3) What change has Beulah made to the V2 Elixer?

Skagit caster looking for better presentation.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had a V1 on my 6wt switch and a V2 on my 5wt spey. I definitely preferred the V2. I think they changed the taper a bit as the V2 felt like there was more grainage in the reel-end of the line where the V1 felt like it was more evenly distributed. Both lines were the shorter switch version of the Elixir and both rods mentioned are Platinums for extra info. I am no scandi expert, also more of a skagit guy, but this is what I remember from my experience with the V1 and V2. Hope this helps a little bit.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
I just picked up the new Elixer and I'm taking it out tomorrow, shooting head

I must admit that airflo scandi have never disappointed me. But I'm hoping this will be a nice experience

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

I appreciate the input.

I did not realize there was a change in the taper on the Elixir V2.

The Airflow Scandi on my 4/5 Classic Beulah is a keeper as well. The 6wt Platinum/Rio Scandi is my favorite for the distance I can cast with a light weight setup... Effortless! Line control is a dream compared to a Skagit. People that are using the Elixir seem to rave about them. I'd like to try an Elixir on my Method 7wt. But what grain wt?

My hope is to buy an 8wt Onyx and I would be tempted to do a Scandi on that as well. It will be primarily a Skagit rod but a Scandi might be nice with lighter stuff. My Skagit casting has improved since I've been tossing the Scandi"s

·
Registered
407 Posts
I like both lines. I would pick the line based on versatility. The Rio Scandi short, I believe, comes with a looped front end and a set of replacement tips from floating to different sinking type tips. Gives more versatility in case you want to use a sinking line.
I am not sure but believe the Elixer does not have the looped tips. If all you want to do is dry fly or line work, then I would select the Elixer line.
Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
So happens I just got back from testing my new elixer v2 375 on the platinum 6 wt spey. It's THE one!

Better than the original with loop end quality, printed description and taper. Nice work Bruce and team. Seems it does have some weight toward the rear that loads rods with stiffer tip a bit easier for quick response.
I used a SGS 400 grain scandi on there and it loaded too deep for me.
I have a rio scandi in another weight for different rod. My sense is it has a longer taper and feels like has bit more finesse. Had more delicate presentation and could possibly lend to tip casting a bit more??
I like a nice balance and not too much or too little load on these regressed rods. Great for heads. 375 is goldilocks for touch n go :)
It flies with mono. I'm using 40lb froghair. Consistently could get to 80' and occasionally everything went right and shot it to 100' measured at the casting ponds. I think thats about terminal velocity for 375 grains without a poly, but it should handle a medium one fine.
BTW airflo seemed closer to the elixer. Like those too. Mine weighed out on the light side.
Anyways happy to share my excitement with someone thinking of the same. :smokin:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Elixir V2

Beulah Elixir V2

~Has a color change for only two reasons: I was tired of looking at Straw after 5 years, to make sure folks knew we did not just re-name the old Elixir and actually did some taper changes.

~Has loops on both ends. V1 had loops also...V2 just has better loops

~Has Laser I.D. on the front loop so a grain scale is not as necessary to wade through multiple lines (if owned

~V2 has a shorter rear taper (caster stays in touch with the head better)

~V2 has a bit more weight distribution in the rear of the line

~V2 has a more defined front taper that is timed better to properly roll out at distance

~V2 has a slightly larger tip diameter to handle moderate Poly Leaders and moderately weighted sink tips better

The old line is a bit easier casting line in that it jumped out of the water more easily and bad casts would fetch good results more like a Skagit in that regard. Someone wrote earlier that our V1 line was more evenly distributed (which is a good way to put it) and also allowed for really easy in close turn over for the first few cast with just a leader and a few feet of line outside the rod tip.

The new line is not difficult to cast but gives better feedback, still casts good at short distances, definitely has better timing on the turn-over at distance and I think it handles slightly larger flies better and sink tips like 12' of T8. 10 and 14' Sinking Poly Leaders in Fast Sink and Super Fast Sink versions.

Bruce Berry~

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Elixir for Sage 7125-4 Method and 8 Onyx?

The Sage Method is just 12.5 ft. Am I better to go with the Switch Elixir with a slightly longer leader or the Spey? Grain weight?

And what is the suggestion for the 8wt Onyx?

·
Spey Is The Way
1,047 Posts
I have the V1 and really like it. I also like how Beulah goes up the scale in 25 grain increments.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
I used the V2 today. It shot nice. as nice as my airflo. It's a sweet line

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bruce, thanks for the details.

Kdt, for the Method 7126 you could use either scandi length IMO. Only wiggled that rod but the spey length 31' was comfortable with my 12.5' beulah, But the lengths are different for each weight. Consider if ur fishing tight quarters or just like shorter heads and lean towards heavier for shorter length. Method is a fast rod, so having a line like the elixer with more weight towards the back would probably help load it easier. Educated guess for scandi would be around 475 or 500 grain....maybe someone who has that rod can confirm.

Tight lines,
Kevin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts