Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just trying to get back into tying more. I was trying to go for a few effects here: rabbit tail (undulates), hackle (bugginess), egg (most fish like bull trout and steel will try to take an egg right?) I'm open to feedback and I'm wondering if this type of fly might take a fish or two :D Tail might be a bit long (should I aim for more hook shank length?), and ribbing could be straighter, but next few should be better ;)

I've lately been trying Squamish area but haven't yet tried egg sucking pattern, so I thought I'd give this baby a go.

Hopefully the photobucket thing works the first time.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
will it take a fish or two??? i dont know of a fish that wont take a wooly bugger in black rather it being river or ocean haha. and there a egg on it cant be bad lol.

ya tail should be size of shank. over not bad practiae will make it cleaner.

keep tying

·
Administrator
18,146 Posts
Yup , that will catch fish :)
I would shorten the tail , you may find the fish nipping at the tail and getting the short strike .
Neatness comes with practice . Just slow down and don't rush while you tie . Plan your steps . If you are not happy with the outcome , it's not too late to unwind and re-do that step .

Mike

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
As others have said: yes that will catch fish (if you fish it well), though the tail length may cause a few missed connections. As for feedback, if it were me tying this fly I think I would prefer a bit longer/softer hackles for more movement. Certainly not an absolute, just personal preference, but I palmer a lot of buggers with oversized hackle, or even schlappen. On the ribbing there are few things that can help.

It looks like you tied the hackle in at the front, wound it back, then wound your ribbing forward? If so, be sure to wiggle the ribbing as you wrap, allowing the hackle fibers to work free of the ribbing. If you're careful you can also usually gently pick out any trapped fibers with a bodkin (or other pointy object).
Keep at it,
JB

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gonna keep at it

Thanks everyone for your comments. Definitely gonna try and go shorter with the tail to make it more shank length. Interesting comment by Jason about using oversized hackle/schlappen. I'm gonna try that too.

In the past I've tried to wind the hackle from the front backwards, and then take the rib from the back forwards (overlapping the hackle and helping to secure it), but for some reason I forgot that method as I haven't done any tying in a while. Do most people prefer the method of doing the hackle and rib in opposite directions? I would assume it makes for a more durable fly?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I do my buggers with the hackle and wire from the rear, just counter wrapping the wire. I mostly tie an esl like a double bunny or dalai llama but with a stinger hook, then cut off the front hook. It helps me to hook those ones that short strike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts