Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if there's a preference? There are red, pink, yellow etc. variations, such as glo bug yarn. Do certain fishing conditions warrant using a specific colour? I was thinking of tying up a bunch for the upcoming season using purple, blue, black marabou for tail and body.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think it's the contrast that counts. Dark body and bright head/egg. Pick whatever color suits your liking and have at it.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Yup.

I think it's the contrast that counts. Dark body and bright head/egg. Pick whatever color suits your liking and have at it.
As Marcel said, its the 'contrast that counts.' But, personal observation only, make the 'contrast' subtle. Look at flies here/elsewhere that are the size of a 'Dead Bird' and shake my head and ask 'Why?' I've landed/released King Salmon on a size 10 hook (that got very interesting on a 5wt ACR rod:eek:), but set him/her free I did.

Good friend of mine is "Les Ismore." Rather an intelligent Chap from the UK.:smokin:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had my best day ever on the Grand Ronde, (5 fish) swinging a black size 6 egg sucking leach with a light purple head. Kind of ugly and don't know why I tied it on that morning but for whatever reason it worked. I have some in my box but haven't used one since.

·
Registered
210 Posts
a black ESL tube with hot pink cone is my favorite fly for steelhead, and very good for chinooks too (in larger size)

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
A favourite for me for the steel....

the ES Dano:

Mike

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you want to put some "egg" colour in, pink eggs are light pink, sockeye and coho eggs are bright red, chinook eggs bright orange or red, and chum eggs a light orange. Most trout/steelhead eggs are bright orange. (I've looked at mega-millions so needed something to think about.) Oh, and anything dead is a washed out solid white.
Honestly, I think it is the contrast. Personally, I like pink or chartreuse up there. Pick your favourites and go with them! (I do have a few with orange heads for rivers with big chum runs!) Like to tell myself it matters, but not sure it does.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Black/purple/white with pretty much anything. For Steel I will tie it black with orange, coral, hot pink, red, etc. For Silvers I will tie it with a chartreuse head. I'll use chenille or if I want more depth chenille wrapped around a barbell or use a conehead.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts