Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I wonder what special method do you use to pick up the sinking line effectively before you make the cast.
Though I had tried to roll cast to pick up the line before making cast, it is not effective because my roll cast couldn't be well performed I guess.
I usually use the sink rate 8 of Midspey 9/10 interchangeable line in the coast.
I wish to hear your any opinion.

P.S: one more question, how do you clean your rod after using in brackish or salt water? And it must be cleaned?
Forgive my ignorance if my question is stupid...

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Cloudsfor -

Lifting heavy tips - are you overhead casting or spey casting in this case?

For overhead the roll is the method, but you can strip more line up or use a different head design for overhead.

For Spey, lift slowly and let the current help you, then try a circle spey (see Dana's videos) or strip more line in before the first roll cast. Once again the line design is a major impact on the ability to raise sunktips. Generally speaking the shorter and fatter the floating portion, the easier it will be. I also prefer to make my own tips of various grain weights and densities using shooting heads cut to size using the tapered ends.

I fish salt frequently... you shoud rinse the rod off with fresh water after every trip and always clean the reel thoroughly including the line after every time out.

No question is stupid unless it's not asked.

good luck

·
Registered
938 Posts
Can't help you regarding the casting, but as far as cleaning the rod is concerned, I just break it down and take it into the shower with me. I use as washcloth with some mild detergent to clean it and rinse it with the showerhead. Its a bit harder with two-handed rods because each section is so long. I have been doing this for years and, since I usually take a shower at the end of the day or first thing the next morning, the rod always gets cleaned.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Here's another trick I found to be worth playing around with. If you're like me, you have Rio Windcutter or Midspey lines with tips in those convenient wallets. I have them from 6/7/8 all the way up to 10/11/12.

If I am having trouble lifting the tips, sometimes it helps to use a lighter grain tip from another wallet. A type 8 is a type 8, although the grains might be a little lighter. Most of the time the exchange to a lighter grain weight does the trick!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
For 'launching' heavy tips (and recovering from a 'busted cast') there's nothing better than the "Perry Poke."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all.

Juro,
Thank you for your kind advice and warm regards.
Yes, my question is in speycasting.
As you advised, I didn't strip line nearly although it was heavy sunk line and I'm not expert...
And I have not recognized the 'Circle cast' will be effective in casting with this heavy tip.
If I also would have a same line series of number as you, I want to try it.
I think that using light grain tip is very good idea.
I want to and will try it when I have prepared line series.

How about 'Perry poke'?
fredaevans also mentioned it, I also have supposed it will be effective in casting with sunk lines.
However if my expectation is right, it needs some back space because I guess it use a not anchored back casting to earn a front loosening loop .
As I guess it, is it right to use not anchored back casting to get a loosening loop, then do a normal cast?
I saw a videos interestingly which Dana demonstrate, if the back space is not limited, can't it be used to cast with a sunk line effectively?

Smolt,
You are kindest rod owner in the world.
Your rod may be happy because it can be showered with its master who love it together.
It would be good that if I don't drop it or slip by slippery floor.
I will do so to save my time and make my rod happy.
Thank you.

Steelheadjunkie,
I agree your opinon that lifting the rod higher will be helpful.
However I feel it produce a results to shorten the back stroke.
Can it be conquered with more powerful back stroke?
How about your tactics about this?

fredaevans,
I have also supposed the 'Perry Poke' will be effective method to cast a sunk lines.
If you happen to know the means to cast it in limited back space by any chance, let me advise it.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
As a new bee to Spey casting, I have found the following to be important.

If your rod has enough backbone and a strong tip, like the Meise switch rods, his new surf/ocean rod and the Sage Euro rods, normal positioning manuevers to set up your D loop cast will work.

Meise's 8910 two handed surf/ocean rod will over hand cast the Rio Striper 26' 350 grain without any problem and do a fair job with line manuevers to set up a D loop cast. With the Rio Striper 26' versi tip, it will overhand cast any of the tips. The running line is too small to set up a D loop cast.

What is interesting with this Meise rod is how well it casts with the GS Spey 7/8 with tip 1 removed and any of the 26' Versi tips from the Rio Striper package with over head casts and setting up the D loop. If I don't have room behind me for an overhead cast which is typical, it does a great job of setting up the head for a d loop cast.

The Sage 7141 is basically a mirror image of the Meise rod with the overhead casts or setting up the D loop using the GS 7/8 with tip one removedand one of th 26' heads attached. With the Rio Striper 350 in an overhand cast, it is a rocket launcher with about 10 to 12' of line plus the head outside of the tip.

My Sage 6136 does a good job with the Rio Striper 350 if I keep just the head outside of the tip with overhead casts. With the SA Striped Bass WF-10-S, their intermediated surf line, the 6136 can overhand cast or set up the D Loop cast with incredible ease and get me out 80 to 90' with no problem. So it will be come my surf rod for N California. The Meise and 7141 are just too powerful for our surf perch.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Perry Poke

"fredaevans,
I have also supposed the 'Perry Poke' will be effective method to cast a sunk lines.
If you happen to know the means to cast it in limited back space by any chance, let me advise it."

Beauty of the Perry Poke is the whole cast (save for setting a short 'D loop' is all done out in the water in front of you. The cast only requires minimal air space behind you, less even than the 'snake roll.'

Some one else chime in here with a better explanation!!! :biggrin: but from the 'dangle' raise the rod tip and bring the line up and lay it out in the water in front of you (line pointing towards your target) so the line looks like a 'flat letter 'U'. Given you've laid the line in a long tight loop when you bring the rod back to set the 'd loop' the majority of the line is pulled up out of the water (like the skagit cast, the PP is water loaded), set into the 'd loop' and shot forward.

The forward moving stroke will raise the line pointing at you (connected to the rod) and pull/cast the remainder lying on the water.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
full sinkingline!!?

can't say as i haven't used them yet!,i use all sorts of `sinktips' :hihi: = i always strip in several `pulls'after the dangle,then a quick last strip with my lower (left) hand down to the grip shortly before/ during the lift usually has the fly(s) leaving the water lastly,as desired,and i've found the longer the rod the less backast room i can get by with,wich is what i got into two-handers for! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"I've found the longer the rod the less backast room I can get by with."

I'm glad that you posted this. So many of the areas that I cast have restricted wading or no wading, and often my back is up against the brush.

Meise's salt water rod with the spey tip will work in areas where my Sage 7141 and ARC 1409 won't work. Then, my Sage 6126 works in areas where the Meise rod won't work. I will probably be buying an 8126 for winter fishing.

Also, in certain areas, a small set of pruning shears goes with me to clear the offending weeds, blackberries and limbs.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
that's Funny!

i meant the sweep behind me,,i actually fished the miserable little single handers last night, :tsk_tsk: ,so, :confused: ,,,,,,,,Grampa Spey,,,come to the Rogue and i'll hand you an 18' you'll need no pruning shears!!! :wink:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Hammer re the 18' rod

Hammer said:
i meant the sweep behind me,,i actually fished the miserable little single handers last night, :tsk_tsk: ,so, :confused: ,,,,,,,,Grampa Spey,,,come to the Rogue and i'll hand you an 18' you'll need no pruning shears!!! :wink:
I would probably look like the little guy on Laugh In falling to one side of his trike if you handed that rod to me. :chuckle:

I did mean the sweep behind me in my reply.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
that guy!

the laugh in guy,i met him! he moved to so. oregon,,,sold a motorbike to his buddy,,,,actually,,,,the one 18 for nine line i have is just a big baby,,too much fun!!!,the Whisker18,,,now that rod IS a big beasty :hihi: ,,,,but for throwing salt type shooter/sinker stuff,it's awesome ,it's more of a rodtip`tipshooter' style versus true proggresive power ,just bring refreshments as dancing with ~THE DRAGON~ will work you up :lildevl:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Hammer re your 18 ' rod

Hammer said:
the laugh in guy,i met him! he moved to so. oregon,,,sold a motorbike to his buddy,,,,actually,,,,the one 18 for nine line i have is just a big baby,,too much fun!!!,the Whisker18,,,now that rod IS a big beasty :hihi: ,,,,but for throwing salt type shooter/sinker stuff,it's awesome ,it's more of a rodtip`tipshooter' style versus true proggresive power ,just bring refreshments as dancing with ~THE DRAGON~ will work you up :lildevl:
If I tried that 18 foot rod on an overhand/head cast with a heavy sinking tip, I would probably fall face first in the surf and drown with the forward part of the cast. :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts