Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to spey casting and making decision what rod to buy. I will use primary scandi and skagit heads, for small and medium flies in big river.
I need very light rod, so my choice came down to Winston B3 TH and Echo3 rods. Is it worth to spend more money on Winston? Or maybe buy old model Winston B2 6/7 rod which is just little more expensive than Echo3?

Thanks,

Stibra

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Echo "classic"

I started learning this fall on an echo classic 7 wt 12' 9" spey rod. A bit cheaper, beautiful looking and works great, at least from a beginner. I have had no regrets - but instead of keeping the money I saved I used it to buy more echo rods.

These go down to to a 6 wt 12' 6':

http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/rod_category_details.php?category_id=27&page_id=59

I have seen a bunch of (apparently) experienced people posting that these are indistinguishable from rods that cost 3 times as much. It all depend if you like the action which probably is hard for a beginner to say. But these are definitely not fast action - good to learn on. Seems good with a scandi head, and the compact skagit (for skagit casts that is) with a 15' tip is working awesome for me on these. YMMV.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Echo hands down!

Winston are just to fragile and they are the most expensive to send back for repairs as long as they didn't drop the ball and take 4-5months to rod get back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Echo hands down!

Winston are just to fragile and they are the most expensive to send back for repairs as long as they didn't drop the ball and take 4-5months to rod get back.
I started with Echo's and ended up with Winston's. My B3x 7133 and 8136 have been used hard and have proven to be very tough. However, I did have to send my 11' B2x back to Winston twice. Lesson there was don't whack that one with a weighted fly!!

I'd dispute that the Winston's are the most expensive to send back ($50), as G. Loomis rods cost $75 to "send back". Echo was charging $35 last time I send one in. I'm not sure about the other manufacturers. Winston took about a month to send the rod back, but the quality of workmanship makes it worthwhile, IMHO.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've owned neither rod, but I can say from reading other posts on this site Echo rods get a ton of positive things said about them. Not only that, but the service too.

I have cast the TR for a day and while maybe not the lightest stick it is full of power and is made well. If the rest of their rods are made as well as the TR then I would say start with the Echo 3 as the price point for that kind of quality will be tough to beat with the pricier rods. I'm sure you might be able to find something in the classifieds here too if you throw out a WTB thread. I know this isn't solid info to go off of, but maybe something to think about. Welcome to your new addiction. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I live in Europe, so the prices are little bit different than in US.
New Echo3 costs the same like Winston B2x, and B3x is around 200 EUR more expensive, but you get around 100 EUR present with the rod, so the price difference is only 100 EUR.
The Winston representative suggests me the B2x as more forgiving rod, but not powerfull as B3x. Also Echo representative suggest me Echo3 before TR, especially in #6 weight, as more crispy action compared to TR.

Also, not very big market in Europe for good used rods, especially not for #6 weight double handers. There is good choice of used heavy weapons for Salmon, but not interested in that kind right now.

I was thinking also about Vision Cult, but maybe too soft for me.

Well, if anyone here sells his old rod, and wants to come to Croatia for fishing or sailing holiday, you are welcome :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Stibra,

For what will you use the rod? Asp, and trout?
Am asking, because i fish with light dh'ers for asp in Hungary, and there are quite a lot of good wands out there...:)
Btw there is a nice B2 winston in the classifieds what would be great asp- tool ( I keep checking back is it still available...tempting. :) )

Cheers, Peter

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Primary asp and chub in the spring and summer on river Sava in Zagreb, maybe for trout in the winter, also on Sava, little west from the town. I am member of the club on Drava also, so asp and trout on Drava.

Also plan to fish for Houcho on Kupa in the winter and Sana in Bosnia.

So primary small and medium streamers, sink tips in the winter, but nothing extreme, so 450 skagit, and 400-420 short scandi.

I can get also G.Loomis Versaspey 6/7 very cheap. What dou think about that rod compared to Echo3 and Winston?

Peter, where do you fish in Hungary?

Cheers,

Ratko

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,080 Posts
I haven't fished the Echo 3

But, the Echo TR series is a fine rod at the price. Good beginner rod.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Ratko,

I fish on the Lake Balaton, Danube, Drava, and smaller rivers around.
Alex Puskadija is an expert for DH- asp and chub fishing, I hope I can visit the Sava this year to bend some rods…:)

I would say, you need two rods for these applications…:)

a lighter 5/6 wt and a 7/8 for huchen and bigger waters…

I do not really know the aforementioned rods, but the One 6 or 7 weight switch would be perfect (a bit much for chub, tho').

I keep hearing good things about Echo - so that could be a way for you…
The Beulah Classics and Platinums are nice, too.
Not to mention Bob Meiser's creations…I think his blank and package- ready to wrap- prices are hard to beat. check his website.

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Versaspey

I have seen very positive things said about the Versaspey as a great intermediate priced rod, and this in the more or less the same paragraph mentioning some echo rods implicitly on the next "lower" level. This was by Bob Pauli in some instructional material he gave out for a spey class, so that one has been on my "check out if the opportunity arises" list. Maybe you should tell ME where I can get that Versaspey 6/7 :).

At any rate he made them sound awesome for the price. If you can get one cheap maybe you should go with one of those. May be most economical to feed from within your own used rod ecosystem.

One of the "problems" with asking questions online - if you get enough replies you will eventually have a "Yea" and a "Nay" to every possibility. :-0

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Skeg, you are welcome to bend the rods! Not only on Sava!

I am not sure about the correct grain weight for Versaspey 6/7. It is rated as 450 grain, but is this recommendation for Scandi or Skagit?
I have few 450 Ariflo Skagit Compact heads and 420 Scandi Compact. Will this work on Versaspey 6/7? Acording to the Rio recommendation 450 is on the light side for Skagit, but 420 is on heavier side for Scandi Short.

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
Echo DH's are great rods for the price. I think it's safe to say the Winston TH is a smoother casting blank and awesome craftsmanship. Price is certainly an issue, and whatever your willing to pay should ultimately decide. You mentioned you found a b2x 6/7? I'd say jump on that rod if it's still available, it's great to find a deal such as that. This is how I see it, good luck :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I own or have owned Echo, Sage, St. Croix, Amundson, Loop, Meiser and Winston. My Winston BIII-TH 6126 and Meiser Highlander Classic 13' 6/7/8 are the best rods I have ever owned. No issues with either rod.

I have broken an Echo DH7133 and SR 71010. Echo has a good warranty and repaired both. Not to say they are bad rods. But they don't compare to a Winston or Meiser.

My advise. Find someone who owns one and try the rods out first. You will see what rods shine.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I only read a couple responses but will share my experience... I started with an echo and felt like sort casting was the hardest thing in the world, I then tried a buddies Winston and all of a sudden I was shooting a bunch of line with nice tight loops... All the time you see on the board someone go cheaper to start and within a year they are trying to offload that rod to buy something better, it really does pay to test rods first and get the absolute best you can afford or you will always be wanting more...

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
I don't know all the rods mentioned. For the prices you supply I'd be looking hard at the BIIx 6126. VERY capable rod and feather light. At home with lighter fish but still able to handle ones into the teens (pounds) It's such a nice progressive blank to supply plenty of bend/feel with lighter specimens yet enough beef in the butt to easily subdue heavier surprises.. or targets :)

Best of luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At the end, I have decided to buy 2 rods for the price of one new B3X.
One is Winston B2 MX 6116 used only twice, including Rio AFS Outbound integrated line. and G.Loomis Versaspey 13' #6/7, brand new.

So two rods, one faster and one slower. Not sure yet if this is better decision than one B3X 6126 or cheaper B2x 6126, but at least will have two rods to start with. I hope that this shorter MX version will be ok. Only will have to ask original owner to claim warranty if something happens with the rod.

Today, I was practising double spey casting with single handed rod with fighting but, old Traun River #7/8, 9'6" and Ambush head 290 grains. The rod likes compact and and fast stroke. I was casting always with two hands and distance was not too bad, but feeling it can be much better. Regulary I could make 45-50 foot casts, just few up to 60 foot, with 6" sinking Versileader and 6" tippet and small streamer.
I would prefer little slower casting rod, comparing to this singlehander.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Thanks for the update.. these threads almost always leave posters wondering what the final outcome was.

The BII MX 11'6" 6/7 IS a rod I'm very familiar with. Night and day between it and the BIIx 1107 (which is rated as single hand and actually a 5wt switch) The MX is a feather light powerhouse and all but a solid 7wt (spey) line class. I've logged a ton of hours on mine with an AFS 6/7 400gr and 10' intermediate poly leader. As a rule I like things lined on the lighter side. Your two Airflo Compact heads should be very workable on this rod.. and Huchen capable (I would sure think)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shotgunner, thank you very much for your experience, it was so hard to make decision and not to spend too much money on something that will not work for me. Versaspey 6/7 will probably work also ok with the same line.

It would be always the best to try the rods first, but very hard when you have 2-3 people in the whole Country with spey rods, and one of them does not reply to e-mails, other one does not have time and can not find contact details about third one :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have one more question about heavier B2 MX 7/8 model, which I would like to buy in the future if some used one appears. This is very light rod, much lighter then regular B2 TH 8/9 (they cast similar grain weights).
Any experience with this heavier MX model?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts