Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody has ay experience with this rod (or even the #7/#9 in this series) and/or recommendations for compatible lines. I just purchased one at a fire-sale price that I could not pass up so am going to try to make it work on some smaller waters around home vs. my 14' 9/10 Dredger. Obviously a very different (fast) action to the Echo2 compared to the Dredger though so looking forward to seeing how that works for me.

I'm brand new to the spey game, but am completely hooked and starting to understand why people suggested it is the road to the poor-house...:chuckle:

Thanks in advance

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Airflo Delta Spey 8/9 short belly
Airflo Delta Spey Multi-tip 8/9
Airflo Skagit Head 8/9
Airflo Scandi Head 8/9
or similar grain weight, length lines

Note: Echo2 Scandinavian rods were designed by Tim Rajeff, lead designer of the above Airflo lines as well, to properly cast those specific lines, but his abilities/proclivities might not match yours.

If, on testing, those lines seem too light for you to comfortably cast, and don't seem to load the rod enough, go up one line weight. The rod can handle it fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fliegenfischer,

Thanks for your advice - I actually just took the rod out over lunch today for a test cast with an out-of-the-box #8 SA short head floating spey line. To my inexperienced hand it felt quite underloaded - although I expect this would change once sinking heads etc. were added which I will do. But, based on your suggestion I'll give it a try with the 9/10 Delta spey I use with my 9/10 Dredger, sounds like it might be a good match... :hihi:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Penner, The SA Short Head 9wt will give you a better match. Below are the weights for the SA Short Heads old and new as furnished by Bruce Richards of SA:

These numbers are in grains.

Old style split number
6/7=446 @ 47'
7/8=548 @ 49'
8/9=647 @ 51'
9/10=742 @ 53'
10/11=844 @ 55'
11/12=951 @ 55'

New stlye single number, all @ 55'
6=420
7=470
8=530