Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, all right! Finally, those of us who know and love Tim Rajeff’s ECHO single hand rods, who have been waiting impatiently for years for him to reveal his, until now, rumored two hand rods will be rewarded at the Sandy River Spey Clave. I just found out today that he will be having the “coming out” party for at least some of the two handers at that venue. Where better to reveal them to the public, but just a few miles from where they were born at Rajeff Sports in Vancouver, WA?

Hallelujah! Can’t wait to get my sweaty hands on them.

I’ve found that his single handers, almost unbelievably, combine the best attributes of say, an IM6 Winston (sensitivity, feel and “touch”) with the raw power and incredible line speed capabilities of, say, a Sage XP. No mean feat, but he pulled it off with his ECHO single hand rods. I don’t see any reason to believe he won’t pull off the same slight of hand, rod design wizard that he is, with his two hand rods. Of course, just like his other rods, they’re going to be way cheap compared to the competition’s comparable performing rods.

On more reason for us “wallet deprived” spey lovers to rejoice.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Will they have Echo Reels at the Sandy Clave

I have heard some nice comments about the Echo reels. It appears that their bigger one would be a good weight match for my Sage 5120 which is being built for me.

It would be nice to see one before I buy it.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Grampa...

The Echo 69 reel will work nicely on your 5120 depending on what line you want to use. I can get a Hardy Mach 1 9/10 on with 100yds of 20# backing but that's it. I suppose you could use gelspun but I haven't tried it yet.

If you can't find an Echo dealer locally I'll send you a 69 reel to look at. Your only obligation being the return postage should you decide not to purchase it.

I have also been waiting rather impatiently for the Echo two handers. Tim Rajeff's products "rock"! They have outstanding preformance, are modestly priced, and have a "No BS" warranty with fantastic customer service. :smokin:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Lets do it

MJC said:
The Echo 69 reel will work nicely on your 5120 depending on what line you want to use. I can get a Hardy Mach 1 9/10 on with 100yds of 20# backing but that's it. I suppose you could use gelspun but I haven't tried it yet.

If you can't find an Echo dealer locally I'll send you a 69 reel to look at. Your only obligation being the return postage should you decide not to purchase it.

I have also been waiting rather impatiently for the Echo two handers. Tim Rajeff's products "rock"! They have outstanding preformance, are modestly priced, and have a "No BS" warranty with fantastic customer service. :smokin:
Either bring an Echo 69 to the Sandy Clave or send me one the week after.

I will be putting my WC 5/6 on it and whatever WC base that will work as a Skagit line for it.

Where I will be using it, I don't need a lot of backing. However, I will need a fast pick up large arbor. The catch and release trout at Putah Creek by the time they get to be 6 plus pounds often will charge towards the fisher to get a loose line to shake it off or to wrap it around a snag and break off the tippet. They learn this behavior during the catch and release process. With my Sage 7136 or 6126, I use large arbor reels and usually can get the line in when they try these stunts. Sometimes when they get close enough to see you, they will swim towards your net to get netted and released.

Thanks for your kind offer. If you say the Echo will work with the Sage 5120, it will.

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ECHO reels at the Sandy Clave

Grampa Spey, Tim Rajeff had his ECHO single hand rods AND the ECHO reels, filled with Airflo lines (which his company, Rajeff Sports LLC, distributes nationally) at last year's Sandy Clave, so I assume they will be there, along with his new two hand rods, at this year's Sandy Clave as well.

I have been using the large arbor ECHO reels on my single hand rods for the last three years (ever since I discovered them at the Red Shed Fly Shop), and remain impressed with their unfailing performance. Rigid, tough and stable aerospace grade carbon composite material for the body (similar to the Loop CLW reel material), along with a super smooth sealed stainless steel/teflon disc drag system that can easily handle salt water fish, all at an incredible price ($69.95), makes these "form follows function" large arbor reels rock!

I agree with MJC. Depending on the line, the 69 reel should work for you. You might also look at the new large arbor Airflo Balance reel (which I assume Rajeff will have at the clave as well). I understand some folks are utilizing the larger sizes of it (it comes in four sizes, up to a 9-11 line class reel) on small to medium size spey rods also. Something to look into, perhaps. This is also a sealed disc drag reel with a "high tech" look, at a very good price - $195.99.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"I have been using the large arbor ECHO reels on my single hand rods for the last three years (ever since I discovered them at the Red Shed Fly Shop), and remain impressed with their unfailing performance. Rigid, tough and stable aerospace grade carbon composite material for the body (similar to the Loop CLW reel material), along with a super smooth sealed stainless steel/teflon disc drag system that can easily handle salt water fish, all at an incredible price ($69.95), makes these "form follows function" large arbor reels rock!"

Sounds like the Echo 6/9 will be a great matchup for my new 5120.

"You might also look at the new large arbor Airflo Balance reel (which I assume Rajeff will have at the clave as well). I understand some folks are utilizing the larger sizes of it (it comes in four sizes, up to a 9-11 line class reel) on small to medium size spey rods also. Something to look into, perhaps. This is also a sealed disc drag reel with a "high tech" look, at a very good price - $195.99."

I recently bought a Loop 3W and a spare spool from Ray Phelps. So, I'm well covered for my Sage 6126.

However, I use an older Reddington reel that may have seen its better days on my Meiser 9/10 Switch Rod for Striper fishing in the Delta. This Airflow reel may be a great replacement. I use the Rio 350 Striper line and the SA intermediate Striper line. That rod and the Rio 350 Striper line will be my back up rod for the summer and fall salmon or if the salmon are close in. Sounds like this reel will strong enough to handle a big striper or salmon.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
There will be some 69 Echo reels at the Sandy Clave. There is only one thing wrong with them and that is that they don't come in an "812" model. Maybe someday.

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grampa Spey However said:
Yeah, it is plenty strong for stripers. Fully anodized T7061 milled aluminum stock for saltwater. Strong, smooth sealed disc drag that goes from lightest to heaviest setting in less than 180 degrees of turn. Titanium rolling line guard for big runs. It works especially well on longer rods because of its off set reel foot feature that gets the balance (thus the name) under the hand where the fulcrum of the cast is. Less counter pendulum weight, so more of your casting effort goes into moving the rod, not the reel. Gives you faster start up speed and a crisper stop to the final power snap. Less effort means less tiring days of casting a big long rod. Might well be ideal for your rod and your use.

I believe the Airflo Balance reel can also be got thru the Red Shed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,

Be careful about airflo reels. I dont know if the US spec ones are manufactured somewhere different from the ones available over here (UK). But they have a very poor reputation on this side of the pond.

(non-sponsor URL link edited out)

Don't like knocking a product, but dont like seeing anyone get stitched with poor gear either.

Regards,

Sam

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Woburn...

But they have a very poor reputation on this side of the pond.
As I don't put much stock in blanket statments like the above I'm curious to know the particulars. Please enlighten us with some model numbers and exactly what it is people don't like.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,

As I said, try a search,

This from one of the above threads.

"Next time you are fishing, place the reel in the water in front of you for 10 minutes.

Next, With the reel on the rod, strip the line off it as fast as you can into a pile in front of you.

You will see problems one and two as highlighted above.

First of all the T6 is the same as the Scierra SL adn the problems are inherent in both reels.

The drag self destructs when immersed in water (this is well known behind the scenes The catch Phrase is "T6? Don't get them wet"!) Airflo also know about it because of their warranty returns. There is a most beautiful grinding of metal against metal until the whole thing jams solid. Then you can't get the spool off. Amazingly, when they dry it goes away. Dunno why. But 5 seconds under the tap and its back, jammed solid.

I bought two reels and three spare spools for Coho in the sea in Canada. Before the second day was out Both reels were completely useless and I had ruined three brand new 444SL lines. I had to borrow reels over there. They literally blew themselves to bits.

The line comes in contact with the very sharp milled edge where the bottom frame bar meets the recess of the spool. This can very neatly strip ling strands from your fly line as you pull it off the reel. It can also damage the line on the sharp milled edge of the line bar itself if you pull the line off over this."

Generally poor quality build and finish. Also the fact that the "RRP" on all their reels is £200 but they sell them for £99 even when theyve just been launched. What's the point? They also change models every 6 months for no apparent reason.

Cheers,

Sam

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,480 Posts
Woburn,

This is the second time I have deleted your links to a non-sponsor site. Please read the agreement you signed when you became a member here.

Continued disregard of site rules could result in loss of your privilege to post.

sinktip
(moderator)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry!!

Apologies,

Didn't realise links to other fishing related forums were a problem.

Wont happen again

Sam

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Woburn...

Thank you for the info. I will be on the lookout for the T-6.

The only Airflo reels that I have seen for sale here are the recently released Balance. I have only sold one and the customer says he loves it. Since I offer no questions asked 100% customer satisfaction and he hasn't sent it back I must assume he likes it. I will however be trying your test on this reel very soon. Maybe we can do it at the Sandy Clave.

·
loco alto!
3,053 Posts
Had a chance to try the Echo 13'6" 8 wt at Sandy, not sure if this was a proto or the final taper. Action was on the slower end of the medium / traditional category, with a nice smooth even taper, and a good strong butt like the ARCs. The taper reminded me of the Sage 8136 but a little less snappy. They had it lined with a DL 8/9, definitely too much, seemed more like a 7/8 rod to me. To my tastes this particular rod would be nice for floating line, all day leisurely fishing, probably yielding a fun deep bend on average fish. Didn't get to try the other lengths.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Steve...

I believe the Echo 13'6"-8/9 was not the final version and Tim still has some tweaking he wants to do. I think the 12'6"-6/7 and the 14'-9/10 were the final versions. The 14' was my favorite. On Friday I tried it with an Airflo Skagit Head and also a Delta 8/9 and really liked the way it cast for someone with my meager ability.

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Casting the new ECHO two-handers

Yeah, MJC, I also understand from the Rajeff people that only the 12'6" 6/7 weight and the 14' 9/10 weight were the actual final form prototypes. According to them they are now in production and will be available sometime in late July. The 13' 7/8 and 13' 6" 8/9 rods were late stage prototypes, still to be tweaked by Tim to be slightly faster rods than they were at the clave.

I cast them all, and while the 6/7 was a bit slower than my taste (I like VERY fast rods), it handled it's line quite sweetly and would make a fine trout spey or light summer steelhead rod, I think, for those that like more moderate actions. It would work great on the Grande Ronde swinging dry flies for steelies I think. I agree with you, SSPey, that the 13' 6" 8/9, as tested, would work better with a 7/8 line, but then they said it was going to be tweaked to be faster in its final form. That said, my favorite, bar none, was the 14' 9/10. A strong, quick, smooth rod, it cast beautifully and would be a fine rod to fish something like the Clearwater or Snake (my normal Fall stomping grounds) or the Skeena system streams. Matched with the also new final prototype (according to the Airflo folks) Airflo 9/10 Skagit head terminated with about 12 feet of Custom Cut type 8 sinking tip, the combination cast almost effortlessly. I suppose that makes sense, since the primary designer of the new Airflo Skagit head and the new ECHO 14 footer is the same guy - Tim Rajeff.

Anyhow, that combination - Airflo 9/10 Skagit head with Custom Cut type 8 sink tip and Airflo Tactical running line (at least that is what they told me was on the reel) on the 14' 9/10 ECHO two-hander was a dream to cast, and performed my new Snap-V cast to perfection, pulling the head out of the water from the dangle on the parallel snapped V loop for effortless and precise upstream anchor placement anywhere I wanted it for anything from a downstream 30 degree cast to a nearly full upstream 180 degree cast with no trouble at all. Of course, I designed the Snap-V cast primarily for ultimate control of sinking tip and sinking head short and medium belly lines to replace the more objectionable snap-t and circle casts, so working with the Airflo Skagit head was a natural for the cast.

I agree with MJC that my favorite of the group, for the time being, was the 14' 9/10, though for much of my fishing I might pair it up with a Delta Long 8/9, for long shoots and big swings on the Clearwater and Snake. With the floating Airflo Skagit head it would likely be my choice on the Grande Ronde or Deschutes (until the final form of the 13' or 13' 6" ECHO rods are ready).

It doesn't hurt that they are mighty purty rods either. Dark aquamarine blue/green with blue windings, Rajeff's signature tournament style single foot guides, and nice looking cork make them as easy on the eye as on the pocketbook, if that $269.95 in the ECHO brochure holds. Nice that they're four piece too. They'll travel well.

I sure haven't cast a better rod in that price range. Definitely a must have for The Frugal Fly Fisher.

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mea Culpa

YIKES! SSPey just brought to my attention that in my prior posts on this thread that I have not had anything in my signature or in my profile that reflects my recent status change in becoming a rep for Rajeff Sports LLC in the Northern Rockies. This is a very recent thing and, frankly, I flat out forgot that I hadn't put in either my profile or my signature anything reflecting that. I apologize to the Speypages membership for this oversight and assure all that it was unintentional. I have remedied that forthwith.

I have never been a rep before, or involved in any way directly in the commercial end of the industry before becoming a rep for ECHO rods and Airflo fly lines, via Rajeff Sports, and I post here infrequently. Frankly, I didn't even think about it until SSPey called it to my attention. However, that is no excuse for such an oversight. Perhaps seeing all the other industry folks posting here fogged my mind, though that is hardly an excuse for not thinking of it. I confess that I am a rep solely because of Echo single hand rods (and Echo reels), having been using them for several years ( I think I may have bought one of the first rods sold in Idaho), long before repping, and I confess to liking them a whole lot, thus my excitement about the two handers becoming available.

So, for all who have followed this thread please take my comments about Echo rods and Airflo lines in context, as someone who has used them and likes them, long before becoming a rep for them, and who recently became a rep for them because of that liking. I assure you, I stand by my personal comments just as they were made, and they were my true personal feelings, but am certainly sorry that I didn't make it abundantly clear that I rep those products as well. This situation will absolutely not happen again, and I apologize to any and all I may have inadvertently offended or misled. It was not intentional.

Sincerely and humbly

·
loco alto!
3,053 Posts
all I did was PM to ask if you had an affiliation ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts