Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

Recently purchased an Echo TR 4120 for the trout game in wyoming and would like to figure out a reel and line to pair with it. I am mainly throwing spiders and smallish soft hackles.

I have been throwing a TCX 6126 which is too much rod for the majority of the trout I catch.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I paired mine with a Ross CLA 4 and either an Airflo Skagit Switch or Compact Skagit 360 and a 10' intermediate poly leader. I was, however, using it for streamer work.

If you're throwing spiders and soft hackles, I'd pair it with either a Scandi Compact or Rage 330 or something similar. That grainage was the best compromise for me when going back and forth bewteen touch and go and Skagit casts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I paired mine with a Ross CLA 4 and either an Airflo Skagit Switch or Compact Skagit 360 and a 10' intermediate poly leader. I was, however, using it for streamer work.

If you're throwing spiders and soft hackles, I'd pair it with either a Scandi Compact or Rage 330 or something similar. That grainage was the best compromise for me when going back and forth bewteen touch and go and Skagit casts.
Thank you very much. That is helpful. I will do some looking around. Always loved the Ross Reels!

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
I purchased the Echo 4120 when they were introduced.

My lines are Scandi 270gr and Skagit Short 325gr.

It is a light trout spey rod and for my casting style feels better with lighter weight lines.

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I don't have that rod, but tow others in the same grain range. I like the Rage a lot, but for the small stuff the airflow 40+ and the 4/5 afs head (which I believe have the same taper) are really sweet NS lirrlw meow subtle/delicate.

I run a hardy Princess or a 3 5/8 Perfect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts