Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else fishing this rod? I just got it set up today with a Airflo Skagit Scout 360 head (which Echo recommends) and I felt like the rod was completely overlined and I was having a hell of a time casting the rod. For those who own or have fished this rod, what grains do you recommend?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the 3wt and my buddy has the 4wt. Despite our different casting styles we both like the skagit scout 330gr on the 4wt. If it ever stops snowing I have a 275gr OPST we want to try on the 4wt and my 3wt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just ordered up a 250gr OPST Commando to toss on this setup. OPST and Reds recommend this weight. I'll be in touch

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes do let us know - I am still looking at the Echo 4113 myself as it has a larger grain window compared to other 4wt switch rods....

I currently fish with the Redington Hydrogen 4116 and enjoy casting out the OPST 225gr Commando w/ T8 MOW tip as well as the traditional 300gr skagit and 275 scandi compact heads...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, I have that rod and cast the Airflo Skagit Scout 330g. It casts beautifully with that line. I agree the 360 is too heavy, presumably lined for people that aren't used to spey casting so they can feel it load? Not sure why it is overlined like that. I suspect a 300g would be fine too.
Great rod, love it so far.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got out to test the OPST 250gr with a 5/5 t8 iMow tip and it obviously doesn't feel heavy at all. I was getting close to the casts I was looking for. It was quite alright, nothing special but nothing negative to say either. Pretty good! After fishing the OPST for awhile, I decided to switch back to the 360gr skagit scout with a t8 mow tip and compare the two. I still believe the 360gr is too heavy but I started to prefer the Scout over the OPST after figuring out the casting stroke and slowing down just a tad. The one thing to keep in mind with these shorter heads, is to keep your casting stroke and sweep nice and compact as not to blow your anchor. Overall, it's really up to the angler. I'd be curious to try it with a 330gr scout.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The 330 gr scout should be better as it closely matches the 250 gr OPST head.

Yes you are correct, the OPST head requires a different stroke and D loop because it is so short and easy to blow anchors.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I called Red's and asked for lines and reels sizes, they suggested Skagit short max 300gr. or OPST 300 gr. with a 7-8 reel. I also contacted Headhunters flyshop in Montana, since they seem to really push the trout spey fishing on the Missouri. They really liked the 360 Skagit scout and a 6-7 reel. Sooo..... I think I'll just order the rod for now(4wgt. 4113-4). Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Spey daze 59

I recently bought an Echo TR2 4113 and along with got the Echo Ion reel in a size 6/7. The reel functions well, the drag is steady/easy to adjust, and I have no concerns about its ability to handle trout on this trout spey set up. I have bought 3 heads so far and the Airflo Skagit Scout in 330gr has been my favorite. I also have a OPST commando head in 325gr and a Rio scandi short in 300gr (which is too light in my opinion but was all the shop had when my rod came in the mail ;). I really enjoyed casting the Scout and felt it just flew off the rod so easily. Im looking to go up in grain weights and try out a few more and get it really dialed in. Super fun rod to take out swinging for the day!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts