Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the opportunity to use my Echo SR 4wt for the first time fishing for trout, using a 6wt (nominally 235gr) Ambush line. Casting a small soft hackle with a 10' intermediate Airflo trout poly leader with a few feet of 3 or 4x for tippet I most often could not get the cast to lay out. Instead it would flop off to the side rather than fully extend even in the absence of any substantial wind. It was only a bit better with a moderately weighted bugger off a 7 1/2' 2.6ips sinking poly leader tipped with a few feet of 2x.

I don't know if the problem is in my casting, the line/leader set-ups, or both. Any suggestions on what I might do to get the casts to lay out would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Leader set up etc sounds fine, and wouldn't be the cause.
I beleive it sounds like your rod tracking during your foreward cast.
Your line ultimately follows true to the tip travel path.
That and possibly your target, aim a little higher to allow everything to unroll before it lands.
But hooking casts are generally caused by your tip travelling a bit skewif on the forward cast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try to concentrate more on those aspects of the cast next time out with that rod. Andy

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had this exact setup and it cast very well so it is probably the tracking issue mentioned above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts